Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2003 1:35:55 PM EDT
I've learned a lot since joining this board (though I still have a long way to go) and I want to say thanks again to everyone who contributes here. You guys do a great service.

Now I've got another question:

I'm getting an eotech for my Bushmaster modular carbine and I'm wondering where the best place is to put it. It's got a flat top receiver and a 4 rail handguard, so I can put it as far forward or as far back as I want. I've seen pics of setups with these types of sights way forward, all the way back, and in the middle. What's the purposes/advantages of these setups? For my use, pretty much all shooting is going to be 50yrds or less. Appreciate any info,
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I mount mine as close to me as I can.

That means if you have a BUIS and PVS 14 you need to mount where it won't interfere with either of those.

The closer the glass the easier to pick up the reticle quickly.  

The closer the NV is to the screen the bigger field of view it will have.

[b]Some guys like them way up front, but I like to keep field of view large for speed-

accuracy will be the same- target aquisition time will change slightly with focal length as your field becomes smaller.[/b]

experiment see what you like move it back and forth and you will find out if you like it up front or closer to the rear sight.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Try it every way and see what feels more natural.

I prefer it towards the BUIS myself.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I mount mine as far forward as I can and still reach the buttons while shouldering the rifle. To me, this gives the best FOV of everything around, not just what I see through the EO Tech's window. I've got an EO Tech on my HK-94 and I can't mount it very far forward because of the HK's charging handle. After comparing the two mounting positions, I have to say the farther forward the better. The reticle is clearer the farther it is away from your eye. Red dots (e.g. Aimpoints and EO Techs) were designed to be mounted as far forward as
possible.

As others have said, do what works for you. Try it in every position you can.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Ditto to Matt_B![:D]

[img]http://a5.cpimg.com/image/B9/9A/22757305-ac42-02000180-.jpg[/img]

As the others mentioned try it at different locations on your rail go with what works best for YOU!

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys,
I think I see what you're saying about taking longer to acquire if it's at the front, but I also like the sound of having a full field of view all around me. I'll probably end up compromising and putting it halfway [:D]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top