Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2003 3:24:57 PM EDT
what arpeture should I use to to sight in my ARMS#40 with the IBZ, or does it not matter?

thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Use the large aperture at 50 yards.
View Quote

Troy,

I read the IBZ procedure over at the Maryland AR-15 Shooter site and I am a little confused. They stated the following:

[i]Battlesight the rifle per the -10 with the following exceptions:

1. Sight should be at 8/3 -2 clicks, that is, all the way down, not up a click.  Please note removable handle sights are marked 6/3 (rather than 8/3); also some are in ‘half-clicks’ as well. There should be 3 clicks between 3 and 4 on the knob. If there are 6 clicks then the sight needs to be set at –4 clicks (instead of –2).

2. [red]Small aperture[/red], nose to firing handle weld.

3. Distance is 50 yards.

4. Point of aim should be point of impact of bullet.

Note To Users of Carbines with the A1 style rear sight or users of Flip-Up Sights: This 50 yard zero works really well. If you have the original sight aperture use the [red]unmarked (short range) hole [/red]to zero the rifle. If you have upgraded, and use the A2 style aperture (or the A.O. Same Plane sight), then use the [red]small (long range) hole[/red] for zeroing.[/i]

My question is why do you recommend using the large aperture to do the IBZ with the ARMS#40?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#3]
My question is why do you recommend using the large aperture to do the IBZ with the ARMS#40?
View Quote

Because the zero procedure you have is small aperture at -2/-4 clicks. The ARMS #40 isn't elevation adjustable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Because the zero procedure you have is small aperture at -2/-4 clicks. The ARMS #40 isn't elevation adjustable.
View Quote

BR, thanks for the info. Let me see if I have this straight. With an ARMS #40 I sight in at 50yds with the large (0-2) aperture and I should be good anywhere between 0-250 yards. Is the small aperture now calibrated for 300-xxx yards and the horizon line for 500 yards or am I still mixed up? TIA
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the small aperture now calibrated for 300-xxx yards and the horizon line for 500 yards?
View Quote

No it isn't.

The ARMS #40 is designed to be zeroed at the 25/300 setting. If you follow that zero, you will be set up for 300 with the small and 500 with the horizon line.

I've got the IBZ on my ARMS #40 and switching to the small aperture puts me about 5" high at 100yds. That would appear to make my small aperture zero around 340yds.

I've been adding a lot to the rifle lately so I haven't had the chance to really wring out what the small aperture trajectory is yet; but I'm beginning to think a same plane aperture is the way to go for the ARMS #40 if you are going to use the IBZ.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, you guys really know your stuff! Thanks for all the info. I think I have a handle on it now.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top