Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2003 4:21:24 AM EDT
I know they are different in their design.

I have a good deal for a used TA01 ($480 for a local dealer) but I really want a TA31. Should I pass TA01? Please let me know what you think?

Can TA31 do something that TA01 can't do?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:19:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd get the TA01 for a 20" or 18" barreled rifle because of its fine crosshair "christmas tree" reticle is great for precision shooting but not so good for CQB, and the TA31 for a carbine because of BAC.  TA01 series is the only one without the BAC feature, which allows you to keep both eyes open and use the donut/triangle/chevron as a reflex sight, so bright is the fiber optic lit reticle.
If you can only have one, save your money and get a TA31.
New arguy posted a thread re: making the TA01 into something like a BAC equipped ACOG, it involves an Aimpoint and a mount that positions it directly in front of the TA01.  All said, that solution will cost you about $550 above the cost of the TA01 (340 for aimpoint, 190 for the KAC offset mount).  So why not get a TA31 or TA11 to begin with, unless you actually already have the KAC mount and Aimpoint in your toys inventory.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I got the TA01NSN, but since I didn't like how slow it was to pick up in rapid target acq, I ordered a 31 from C&S gun works.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Where have you been man?  The consensus opinion of this board is TA 31.  The BAC feature makes it about the best general purpose optic you can buy.  It can do everything.  

The TA 01 [i]might[/i] be better on a field gun for precision work - I am debating that one myself as I already have a TA 31 and wonder if I need two...

(I know, of course I need two)
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Man... it is really tough.

Ok ok, let me know if the price is unbeatible for a used TA01.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The price is good, but that's almost irrelevent because it's not versatile as the BAC models.  As long as you know how it can be best used (i.e. not for quick target acquisition and CQB), it's a great scope.  Many people that jumped in on the TA01NSN bandwagon when it came out because it was the Special Forces model had subsequently jumped off and replaced their TA01NSN with TA31 for its "all in one" usability.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I just snagged the last TA31 from CS Gunworks on Thursday afternoon.  Can't wait to see how she shoots.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]
You won't be looking back to traditional scopes when you experience a dual illuminated scope.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Wengv, I see that you're in Jersey.  You should have joined us at the 4th NJ Blast at Ft. Dix yesterday!  You would have been able to try a lot of optics & accessories.  Check out the NJ Hometown forum for more info.  I hope you can join us next time.

I have a TA01, TA31A and TA11.  I would definitely save for the TA31 (or TA11).  Let me know if you want to try them out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I find the ranging reticle on the NSN and the TA01 far to busy for anything but long range work.

TA31 is the way to go [:D]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top