Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 4:52:47 PM EDT
Have some new pieces parts on the way -

RR 20" stainless, FF, Flat top with conventional front sight / gas block (may change this out for a JP  and flip font somtime in the future). New trigger springs. Badger tac latch. All going into my Bushy shorty.

ACOG TA11 - went round and round on TA11 or TA31 - in the end I said definately doh_nut and figured that since I want a B.U.I.S. on the gun at all times I could make better use of the 0.9 inches of eye relief than the 8' of FOV. Additionally my thinking is that if I dump the carry handle and go with an ARMS #40 I will end up weighing less than a TA31 mounted on the carry handle. (Geezus, who knows - it is all personal preference).

Anyway tell me more about mounts?

What I *think* I know:

TA51 - why have it? Get an ARMS #10 - one or two more mounting spots.

ARMS #10 - sits lower than an ARMS #19 - how high are either one?

What I want:

Flat top mount that is sturdy and will put the ACOG at the same height (or as close as possible to) the rear appature in the carry handle.

Also - how grabby is the #19 in the brush? Seems like a #10 while slower to dump in an emergency, would be more secure - true?

What is the height diff of the #19 and #10?

Will both a #19 and a #10 accept a #40 behind it?

Also since I am mounting to the FT, and have a standard front sight tower - will the doh_nut co-witness (even though the magnification will blur it out) or does the front sight sit higher or lower than the doh_nut? Once again - #19 or #10?

Also, good idea or bad idea on putting a Trit front post in the iron front? If I do this, will it creat a goofy bright spot that will f*ckup my POA?

Lastly, I skimed the ACOG BDC info that is tacked above but did not see what I am looking for. I intend to load for my gun using some 69 grn Sierra Match Kings. Is anyone else doing this and if so do you have reload / BDC data to share for a 20" FT? OR - does anyone know what the subtensions are for the reticle?

I am most interested in the mounting info. I will use a ballistic calc. to get close and then verify via shooting (and share in the tac'ed post for anyone who give a sh*t) the whole BDC thing - but would love a "spoon feed" on the matter if anyone is shooting that combo.

I *think* this could be a real hoot for an "F Class" gun as a back up to my bolt.

FWIW - I have been lurking for a bit on this whole ACOG deal. The tacked post with the pics sold me in a heart beat.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't know about the #10, but the #19 will.  Here's a pic.  This is my 3x24 ACOG with a #19S and #40

[img]www.btammolabs.com/DSCN1877a.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#2]
ARMS #10 - sits lower than an ARMS #19 - how high are either one?
View Quote

Don't know the height of the ARMS #10. The ARMS #19 will put your height over bore at about 2.65" give or take. It is just high enough to let the ARMS #40 fit underneath an ACOG regardless of stacked tolerance.

Also - how grabby is the #19 in the brush? Seems like a #10 while slower to dump in an emergency, would be more secure - true?
View Quote

First, let me say I've got limited experience in taking it through thick brush as of now. However, I've crawled through some mesquite thickets with it and the ARMS #19S seems plenty secure to me. I seriously question whether anything narrow enough to fit into the throw lever slot would also be strong enough to release the lever. Most twigs, etc. would break first I imagine; but I can't say with certainty as I've never had anything get stuck in there yet.

With the ARMS #19 I'd say it is not even an issue since it has two throw levers and they both face inward where it would be really difficult to snag anything on them.

What is the height diff of the #19 and #10?
View Quote

Don't know the height of the #10; but the #19 is about 0.05-0.10" taller than the TA51. Didn't have any calipers so that is just a ruler measurement.

View Quote

The #19 definitely will. I'd be surprised if the #10 didn't since ARMS generally makes all of their mounts with a little notch for the #40; but if it sits lower than the ARMS #19, then it probably has the same issue as the TA51 mount - that is if the tolerance of the ACOG body is a little towards the high side, it won't fit over the ARMS #40 because the TA51 mounts it too low and the ARMS #40 sits too high. Even where it does fit, the clearance can be measured in thousandths of an inch. Having said that, you can mount a TA11 far enough forward that it isn't an issue anyway.

Also since I am mounting to the FT, and have a standard front sight tower - will the doh_nut co-witness (even though the magnification will blur it out) or does the front sight sit higher or lower than the doh_nut?
View Quote

TA11 on ARMS #19S

[img]http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/AR15/DoD2.jpg[/img]

Also, good idea or bad idea on putting a Trit front post in the iron front? If I do this, will it creat a goofy bright spot that will f*ckup my POA?
View Quote

Haven't seen this combo so I can't say.

I recommend the #19S. Excellent return to zero, solid mount, multiple mounting positions, same footprint as TA51. Can't think of a bad thing to say about it.

[img]http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/AR15/AR15_2.jpg[/img]

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top