Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2003 9:23:52 AM EDT
My unit just got issud aimpoints with killflash installed.

I looked through the sight and could see the killflash and it destroyed the clarity of the image.  I wasn't impresed.

Maybe someone was stupid for putting these in non-magnified sights.

The worst part is if you remove them and throw them out you'll probably just wind up getting issued another or buying another.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If you do not use the M68 like a scope (concentrating on the target thru the scope) you will enjoy an ARD better. I carried my M68 weapon combo thru out OIF and it never gave me any visual restrictions. But is very bright there and almost everyone wore sunglasses anyway. So what would an ARD do to hurt visability that sunglasses wouldn't also do?

I liked to use the 2 eye sight method almost all of the time also. At night I closed the front sight cover and kept the dot intensity pretty low. My dominant eye maintained the dot and my weak eye remained focused on my target.

That method and minor variations is how most of the guy's operated if they used their M68.

Unfortunately the Army was not able to supply most of the guy's with fresh batteries constantly so alot only used their M68 for night guard or missions of high risk. Places where speed of target engagement were critical.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I looked through the sight and could see the killflash and it destroyed the clarity of the image.
View Quote

You're supposed to keep both eyes open.  Do that and it works fine even if you leave the front lens cap closed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I really didn't see the lense as a terrible giveaway (esspecially if you keep the lense cover closed) which by the way when you close the front cap and aim with both eyes open will work too.  So wait till you need it to flip it up.

I just don't see why the Army has basically turned a high-quality reflex optic into basically an ARMSON OEG.

Just another reason for EO tech sights (they have no killflash and less shiny non-ruby coated lenses.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#5]
The ARD does other jobs too. Believe it or not it keeps fingers, gloves, garbage from touching the lens. Not a problem now but wait until a lookie lu picks up your rifle. Also it keeps brush, rocks (yes rocks,.. you are a soldier and not standing all the time) other crap from building up when you dont want it too.

The ARD is a good device for the field. Trust me. Been there, done that. If you realy hate it and feel it needs to be off your M68. Unscrew the sucker when you deploy or hit the range. It comes right off. Put it back on when you turn your weapon back in.

BTW some field advice. Put some 100 MPH tape on your lens covers. I saw hundreds of M68's during OIF without any lens protection. They will get yanked off over time without tape unless your not not a field type.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]
im in the army....the lense covers are allready tied down according to SOP [lol]

it may keep out debris but any debris that hits it will smash the honeycomb and render it useless.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#7]
You do understand that you're to keep both eyes open right? You can use the Aimpoint with the front cap closed.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top