Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2003 11:24:17 PM EDT
Recently at a local gun shop, I came across an original NIB Colt Sporter 4x20 scope listed at $60. With regards to the information I have found on this scope, it uses an integral see-thru QD mount which attaches to the A2 carry handle with a single lever, but no word on ocular focus, optical clarity, reliability, ability to hold zero, general quality, or if it has a  Bullet Drop Compensator. I don't expect a great deal of value for $60, but it would be nice to know what I would be getting. Does anyone have any experience with this optic? Input would be appreciated. In the event of its purchase the scope would be mounted to the carry handle of my A2 Dissipator.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one! I thought it would be a POS. Boy was I wrong! Good optic, kept zero on my A2 20" upper all day. Yes it has a bullet drop comp. The only thing I don't like is the very short eye relief. Shot 1/4 groups a 50 yards.
YMMV.
Hope this helped!!

Spooge Out!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks alot for the response, I will pick it up today or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]
That is a VERY good price for a real Colt scope.  The Chinese knockoffs usually run about $40.  I have a Colt.  It is ok, but the adjustments are a little touchy to get zeroed and the eye relief is short.  At that price I would certianly buy it.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
At $60, it is definately worth the buy.  But that sounds cheap to me.  Almost too cheap.  I paid over $200 for mine NIB a little over a year ago.  I had problems with it at first and sent it back to C-More for repair.  I was told at the time that they were no longer producing them.  I apparently got lucky and they swapped it for one of the last few (less than 10) that they had on the shelf at the time.

So, I would double check that it is a true Colt/C-More scope.  If it is a knock-off, it's not worth it.

My only complaint, as Watch-Six said, is the very short eye relief.  But if it is a real Colt, the optics are good.

-Red-
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I was skeptical about the price, so I went back to the dealer, and queried him. Apparently, It had been boxed up or packaged with a late-80's Colt Sporter A2. The buyer had no interest in the scope, and struck a deal with the owner of the shop to only buy the rifle. He has not been able to move it in the years since, and had been sitting in the back of the shop for the better part of a decade. he hasn't been able to move it, so he has drastically reduced its price. The scope has the Colt emblem emblazoned on it, and has all the original packaging,so I had him put it on lay away until I find out a little more about it.  I am mostly considering its purchase for the "cool" factor, as I already have a very nice IOR 4x24 Super M2 on a see-thru mount atop the Dissipator.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#6]
They seem to be decent scopes. I got one with an SP1 I bought last year at no extra cost. So far I haven't found much use for it. It doesn't have the magnification of most scopes and as others have said, the eye relief is horrible. It was bad with an A1 buttstock and only gets worse on the A2. If you like the nose-to-charging handle cheek weld like they teach in the military, you will like the scope well enough. But for a point of reference, I have to place my upper lip against the charging handle to get a complete sight picture. Many don't like that.

But as far as actual quality, it seems pretty good. I saw a pic in a recent American Rifleman magazine showing a US Marine using one of these on his M-16A2 in Iraq. There's no way I would give $200 for one of these considering that there are far more capable scopes in the same price range (or for not much more), but for $60, it sounds very much worth it to me.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought one for $250, in MINT condition, and although that sounds pricey, I couldn't find a quality compact A2 scope in that price range.  The one I bought was "Made in Japan", by Hakko I'm guessing.  I don't know if the C-More scopes are of the same quality, but for $60, it's a steal.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Hakko was the manufacturer for the Colt 3 X 20 and the 4 x 20 except for the very early versions. C-more manufactures the 4 x 21 versions. BTW $60 is a steal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I picked it up a few hours ago, brought it home, and zeroed it @ 100 yds. off of my porch. It snapped right on to my Dissipator, and stayed put through 90+ rounds in semi-rapid succession. Eye relief is VERY short, but not a big problem, I have a Delta Pro cheek riser on my stock, which helps with a scope. For $60, it was a bargain, but I miss the lit reticle , and eye relief of the IOR, so the scope will stay in the safe most of the time. BTW, mine is also "Made in Japan", must be a Hakko. Well, this may just give me an excuse to purchase another AR (That is, if my "financial partner" is ok with it, so I'll probably have to buy her some jewlery) , and I have had my eye on a pre-ban A2 HBAR...................Hmmmmm........It would look nice next to the Dissy and the DSA [;)]
Thanks for all the comments, and sorry , I can't post pics. No way to get them online.
-Chris Cheng
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top