Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 4:09:47 PM EDT
Gentlemen, please advise...

You can't see the A2 front sight tower in your scope, but what about reflected sunlight off the tower itself?

I have a SS10X42 in an Armalite one-piece mounted directly to the flat top.  I've shot this setup twice, once on a cloudy day, once on a very bright sunny day.

On the sunny day, there was definitely a white 'ghosting' effect visible in about 60% of the picture.

Reflected sunlight off the sight tower was my best guess at the source.  What say you men?  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?  Someone help me out here...
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I only use my scope to test barrel condition periodically, so I am not the best person to comment.  But hell, no one else seems to want to take the time....

Come'on guys, help Larry some.

When I first got my scope and mounted it on the same Armalite one piece mount, I played around with it to see how visble the post could be.  If I look very hard, I can see a fron sight ghost all the time.   But, under normal coniditions, the post is invisible with normal viewing.  I did notice that glare from my post (shinig with CLP) in strong sunlight did cause a bit more of ghosting, but it was easly ignored and did not pose a problem.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I missed this thread yeasterday.

Anyway, yes, it most certainly can reflect light into the objective lens.  As can handguards, barrel, bench, water, walls, etc.

A sun shade might help this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Paint the front sight tower flat black (NON GLARE) and don't oil it.

you shouldn't be seeing that in a 10X I see it slightly in my ACOG on dimmer days but in my experience the higher the magnification the less you see.

Or you could get a folding post or simply dremel your post off and gring it round like a V Match gas block (which is just that done at BUSHY.)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top