Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 1:50:11 PM EDT
Well I did it. I returned the Swarovski I had purchased last week for a NightForce 5.5-22x56 NXS with the NP-R2 reticle. This reticle is simple and very effective! It has horizontal lines set at 2 MOA increments. To calculate range you use the following formula. (estimated/known target size in inches divided by MOA size in reticle X 100 = RANGE in yards). How easy is that!
The second part of using this system is measuring bullet drop for the cartridge you intend to use. This is simple as well. Zero the crosshairs at say 200 yards. Then set turret reading to ZERO. Shoot a different distance and adjust the elevation turret to bring in hits. Take a reading off the turret for bullet drop compensation in "MOA". Record your adjustments for different ranges. Now set the turret back to ZERO and leave it there. From that point on you use the reticle MOA graduations for what is now your known "Hold Over" required.
This is a great system! I can't wait to get it on my Varminter and take her out!
--RR
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
you'll love that scope. i got the 3.5 to 15 x 50 nxs s month or so ago. tough as nuts. gotta love it. i went with the mil dot ret. i'm just more used to using the mil dot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Mildot plus Mildot Master = WIN

Only improvement upon the Mildot that I've seen is the Horus Reticle take on the setup.

I'll probably be going with a 5.5-22x Nightforce though on my 300WinMag once I can afford to have it rebuilt.    Wouldn't mind one on my AR10 as well when I get a 260Rem upper built for it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah... the only reason I didn't go with the Mil-Dot reticle is I don't have military training so I see no reason to mix apples with oranges. By that I mean, most if not all turrets adjust the reticle in increments based on degrees (i.e. minutes of angle). It seems odd to me to have Turrets that read in Degrees and a reticle that reads in Radians. (Mil-Dots = miliradians). To me, that is like having a tool that reads inches in course adjustment and millimeters in fine adjustment. To anyone not familiar with what I'm saying? Angles being measured in Degrees and Radians is like liquid being measured in gallons and liters. Mil is a Radian unit. MOA is a Degrees unit.
Doesn't matter really if one knows how to use the damm scope, but personally I prefer the turret graduations and reticle graduations to be the same unit of measure.
The other thing I din't like about the Mil-Dot is the dots tend to block the field of view slightly.... just my comments. your thoughts?
--RR
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got two NXS 3.5-15X50 mil-dot for my SWSs , one for my SPR and the other one for my Chandler M40A4 300WM .

I went with mil-dot just because I know it better than any other reticle , I find it very good indeed and no probs blocking field of view for me.

I found that , with a tree background , the other too way complicated reticles are not so easy to use quickly .

The NXS are great scopes , they have great light transmission , great resolution , they are also rock solid even if just a little bit bulky .

The only thing missing is the turrets stop , and I'm more confident in using meter scale instead of inch scale , so , at last I prefer the german S&B ,  but that's just me.

BTW, why do you need x22 power ?

When I use to shoot 800 meters targets far away a 10x , or at least a 15x , is more that enough , your experiences ?

PP out
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#5]

BTW, why do you need x22 power ?

When I use to shoot 800 meters targets far away a 10x , or at least a 15x , is more that enough , your experiences ?

PP out
View Quote

To quote Tim the tool man Taylor... "MORE POWER!"
[:D] --RR

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#6]
For target shooting I'd be fine with 10-16x but a life of varmint shooting has taught me that the upper end towards 20-25x helps with the odd 500+ yard squirrel sized target.

Heat and mirage can be a pain in the butt with anything above 10x but usually the variable power scopes that interest me have magnification below 10x to choose if mirage is a problem.    Atleast if the climate is correct for using more magnification I can have it there at my disposal.

the1_roadrunner, I know you went with a different reticle pattern but have you toyed with a mildot master?   With it you might get readings in mils but it gives the user corresponding elevation adjustments in both Mils and MOA depending on whether they would prefer to use a hold over or actually click the MOA value into the scope turrets.     Plus for those who prefer metric units it's got metric units printed on the back side.     One great piece of gear.

Anyhow, I gots lots of scopes with different reticles, the Mildot will probably wind up being my range finding reticle of choice, especially after using the MilDot Master for awhile.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]

the1_roadrunner, I know you went with a different reticle pattern but have you toyed with a mildot master?   With it you might get readings in mils but it gives the user corresponding elevation adjustments in both Mils and MOA depending on whether they would prefer to use a hold over or actually click the MOA value into the scope turrets.     Plus for those who prefer metric units it's got metric units printed on the back side.     One great piece of gear.

Anyhow, I gots lots of scopes with different reticles, the Mildot will probably wind up being my range finding reticle of choice, especially after using the MilDot Master for awhile.
View Quote

Yeah, If I had a lot of experience with the Mil-Dot I'm sure that would be my system of choice as well.
The NP-R2 reticle is essentially the same layout as the Mil-Dot but the graduations are every 2 MOA rather than every Miliradian. I just prefer working with MOA because it's simple. One MOA is 1" at 100 yards. I don't need a seperate conversion chart to calculate range with such simple numbers. Again, you simply divide the known size of a distant object (in inches) by it's size in the reticle (in MOAs) then move the decimal over 2 places and that's your range (in yards).
EXAMPLE- if you have a 12" target off in the distance and it measures 2 moa in your reticle. It's 600 yards away....
--RR
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
About to trade for an AR-50 with a Nightforce 8x32, damn it's a sweet package!
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Calm down boy.  The deal is not done yet.

[:D]

Link Posted: 9/1/2003 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For target shooting I'd be fine with 10-16x but a life of varmint shooting has taught me that the upper end towards 20-25x helps with the odd 500+ yard squirrel sized target.
View Quote

True , probably we have different targets in mind , no just target shooting anyway.

PP out
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Calm down boy.  The deal is not done yet.

[:D]

View Quote

Sure it is, I've got your $900 right here. [:p]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I received the Nightforce and Armalite Mount (one piece) Friday. Took her out Sunday morning. I hadn't done any bore sighted adjustments whatsoever. Was on paper at 100yds first shot. Around 2oclock 6" out. Only took me a few more shots to bring it in because I was able to use the moa reticle graduations to gage the required turret corrections. Absolutely awesome scope! I'm very happy with it.
--RR
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top