Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 11:03:06 AM EDT
Which point on your reticle do you use for center -mass at 300 yrds.I think i,m missing some thing here.Hope this ai,nt a REALY stupid question.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Which ACOG?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi lumpy.It's the ta31f.I have been placing the400 yrd mark on the bottom of the full size upper body target.p.s.I just went high and tight .one step away from full kojack.Hey thanx for the reply.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://www.trijicon.com/parts/797A.jpg[/img]

See the little red tip of the ranging line underneath the Chevron? Thats your 300 yard zero right there. Thats is... presuming you have it set up the way it was designed to be.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi guy's.Well according to both you guy's I've been doing it right.Notsure what you mean by "set up right".I have it zeroed at 100 and it's mounted on a flat top.P.S. no matter which ammo i use my round's all seem to hit around the belly butten.!!!!!!!!Thanx for takeing thetime to reply guy's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
So raise it 1.5MOA

These sights often have a retical that consists of a good compromise between several barrel lengths.  the thing won't ever be perfect it really most always wasn't designed to be.

You need to analyze POI at every range and if you see a trend (like every range is low then alter yur zeroing procedure to accomidate it.)

For the rest of us who often don't have ideal ranges to test this stuff on (well just keep on being happy with a hit- period.)
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
These sights often have a retical that consists of a good compromise between several barrel lengths.
View Quote

The chevron reticle is designed for flattop mounting on a 14.5"/16" (Trijicon says 16" on website but that is probably a typo) barrel with M855.

I have it zeroed at 100 and it's mounted on a flat top.P.S. no matter which ammo i use my round's all seem to hit around the belly butten
View Quote

How did you zero the weapon (details please)? Did you zero it on the same firing range you are shooting on now? Is your mount secure? Exactly how far from the point of aim is the point of impact?

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
HI guy's.Greeno,correct me if i am wrong,but after you zero in at 100 you ai'nt suppose to have to make adjustment's,just raise the recticle to the appropriate range.BART,Yes i,m shooting at the same range.scope is securly mounted on a 16' flat top.Scope is as tight as i can get it,i check it each shoot.I have been useing 55g winny superX-outstanding tight group at 300yrds,but almost same thing as 200.The round's hit about two feet low at 300.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been useing 55g winny superX-outstanding tight group at 300yrds,but almost same thing as 200.The round's hit about two feet low at 300.
View Quote

Where are the rounds impacting at 200?

Did you use this same load to zero with or did you use 62gr to establish zero (and what load did you use if 62gr)? Is this Q3131A Winchester or some other Winchester 55gr load? Do you have a chrony on the ammo you are using and if so, what is the speed?

Something is definitely wrong if you are hitting 24" low at 300. Know anyone with a laser rangefinder who can verify the exact distance to target? I've been on ranges that considered +/- 20 yds at the 100yd line to be "close enough".

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi bart.I used winny 55g syperX to try and zero at 300.I also used bernaul 62g black tips which performed pretty well.At 200 the round's also hit low,about 12'low.The exact range of the 300 is unknown at this time.Have'nt seen any r/f's yet.I also have used q3131's at various ranges,but have been disapointed with them.As i,m sure you have picked up on,the one thing i have been wrong is useing a few different ammos.Reason was to see which performed best at 300.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Which ammo did you use to zero at 100 initially?

12" and 24" drops are pretty extreme drops for .223, even SAAMI pressure stuff. From a physics perspective, it should be physically impossible to be zeroed at 100, 12" low at 200 and 24" low at 300 with a 55gr .223 loaded to anywhere near normal levels.

As i,m sure you have picked up on,the one thing i have been wrong is useing a few different ammos.Reason was to see which performed best at 300.
View Quote

Yes, I think you are going to find the ammo swapping you are mentioning is the source of your problems. All of it is SAAMI spec too (meaning lower pressures and lower initial velocity) when all the BDC figures are based around NATO spec pressures.

Still, none of these should cause the kinds of shifts you are talking about. Is it possible you have overestimated the shift from POI and POA?

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Your right.I,m going to pick up some more superx and start from scratch.Thanx for your time bart.I will get back to the board with my result's.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top