Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2003 8:43:32 AM EDT
Well, the SPR is done and now my focus is on a DMR.  I have a TA11 and TA31A available or hopefully a TA31F soon.  Which would you choose and why?  What does the Military prefer?

TIA

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
If your going for the look, the TA-31F is what the USMC is using. I looks good and if you add a KMC M5 you have a great copy of the USMC west cost DMR.

For me tha TA-11 and the TA-47-2 are the best ACOG's made due to the longer eye relief. I have a TA-11 and would not traid it for anything. It all comes down on what you are looking for with this rifle.

You can not go wrong with any of your choices.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the look of the TA31 the best. But the TA11 performs the best. Like Luckystiff said its hard to beat that eye relief.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pf1618623964341aa10302bfe3619dad4/fc3ef14f.jpg[/img]

I'll get a TA31 in time, but the TA11 is an awsome scope, the additional eye relief is a blessing beyond count.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Each has an advantage over the other. IMHO one is not better than the other. Each is simply different. Diciding which differences will best suit your needs will determine which is best for you and your needs. Not which is generally better than the other.

TA11 has longer, more forgiving eye relief. Therefore, head position is not *as critical* on the TA11 as it will be on the TA31.

TA31 is smaller and lighter with .5x more magnification. It also has a wider field of view. There was also something about how the reticle seems a little bigger in the TA31 than on the TA11 because of its slightly higher magnification. I cant recall exactly what it was, I'll have to look through my friends TA11 again and Im sure it will come back to me. I think its like a variable power scope whose reticle will get larger and larger as you increase the magnification. If this is in fact what it is, the larger reticle will likely be easier and faster to see.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Eye relief has not been much of an issue with either my TA31A or TA50R-2.  One consideration that may be important.  Aiming reticle...both the TA31A and TA50R-2 have the triangle.  The chevron of the TA31F keeps the geometry of the reticle the same whereas the TA11 has the circle.

Any thoughts about the effects of reticle change and shooters accuracy and speed of target acquisition?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#6]
The donut picks up the fastest when using the BAC, followed by the triangle.  People say the chevron is too small for fast acquisition, although I have never tried it.

The round upper edge of the donut can take some getting used to for precision work (since you sight in the top of the donut at 100).  I find that if I am taking fast shots at 50-150 yards I just use the open center of the donut - close enough on IPSC sized targets.  Taking a slow, careful shot I switch to using the upper edge .
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought that the center of the donut was supposed to be used.

As far as donut versus triangle for accuracy, by the time you get out far enough that it matters, you will be on the BDC ladder and they are both the same.  I will gladly give up a little short range for speed.  And if you take your time, I doubt it matters much at all.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The retical is designed to be zeroed at 100 meters using top of the donut.For what i am doing,shooting close to no more than 300 yds,i said the hell with it ,and zeroed at 50yds with center of donut.This is faster when in a hurry because i know i stay within 2" plus or minus   out to 250yds and aprox -8.0 at 300yds,so except for the ladder i hold dead on.Results will be differ depending on load.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top