Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2003 8:58:47 AM EDT
I'm trying to decide on a sight for my new M-4.  I have couple of questions about Aimpoint scopes.  First I have been looking at the Comp M2.  This model comes in both 4" MOA and 2" MOA this means that at 100 yards the red dot will cover 4" and 2" of the target right??  Isn't this a large area to cover up if you want accurate shooting especially with the 4" MOA?  How can you shoot 1" MOA groups with a red dot that is covering 4 or 2 times that area?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The 2 MOA dot is only available on the 2X Aimpoints and you don't want one of those. An Aimpoint with magnification kind of defeats the purpose of having a red dot sight in the first place.

You are correct that a 4 MOA will cover approx. a 4" circle at 100 yds.

The Aimpoint was intended to be used as a super accurate sight. It was designed to hit man-sized targets out to 300 yds (and further if you're really good).

As far as shooting 1 MOA groups with a 4 MOA dot, being able to do so just requires practice so you have a consistent rifle hold.

If you want a red dot sight that makes precision shooting at longer ranges a little bit easier, look at the EO Techs. Most of them have a 1 MOA dot (for precision shooting ) with a 65 MOA ring (for super fast target acquisition at any range).
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Like Matt said - the red dots aren't meant to be used for target shooting - they're meant to hit a man (that's about 18" wide) at close to distant ranges fast. The bigger the dot (to a point) the better as it's easier to find quicker.

Figure out what you're going to be shooting at and then a proper sight will come into sight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I am a little confussed.  I found this Comp M2-2X on ebay and it says it has no (1X) magnification and 2" MOA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3622468571&category=31716

Then I found a model AP7000SC 2X which says it has 2X magnification and 2" MOA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3621770262&category=31714

What's the deal?

How do you insert hyperlinks?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok I am a little confussed.  I found this Comp M2-2X on ebay and it says it has no (1X) magnification and 2" MOA

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3622468571&category=31716
]M2-2X on eBay[/url]
View Quote

The person selling this item has no idea what they're selling. From his handle, it seems that he runs a jewelry and pawn shop. The Aimpoint stats displayed in that auction are obviously just cut and pasted from another site (maybe Aimpoints?). If he says it's a 2X, then it has magnification and the price suggests that as well. You get Aimpoint M-2 (no magnification) for around $380.

Then I found a model AP7000SC 2X which says it has 2X magnification and 2" MOA

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3621770262&category=31714]7000SC on eBay[/url]

What's the deal?
View Quote

He is stating correct facts in this auction but again, you don't know it yet, but you don't want a magnified Aimpoint for your M-4. [:)]

If you don't already know this, you have to be very careful when you're looking to buy anything firearm related on eBay. Sometimes the seller knows about firearms (and their related accessories) and sometime they don't know a thing.

BTW, unless you're planning on using night vision with an Aimpoint, you should consider getting the ML-2. The only difference between the M-2 and ML-2 (besides the ML-2 being slightly less expensive) is that the M-2 is night vision compatible and the ML-2 is not.

How do you insert hyperlinks?
View Quote

As far as putting hyperlinks in your posts, you need to click on the [b]Board Code[/b] button at the top of the page when you go to make a post. A window will pop up. Scroll down a bit and you will see a section that explains a few different ways to use board code to display hyperlinks in your posts.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks a lot Matt!!  Yeah I figured that the guy on ebay didn't know what he was listing and you have to be careful when buying stuff off of ebay.

I am looking at a sight for more precision shooting so I am going to start looking at the  EO Techs.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
 I have a 2x Aimpoint and like it quite well.  If my vision was better, I might have gone with the 1x as fov is better.
 You can use the the upper edge of the dot as your aiming point to make a more precise shot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top