AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2003 3:01:55 PM EDT
looking for a scope on my 16" A2

whadda reccomend?? it will mostly be a CQB to 100meeter type rifle

thanx
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint will be enough for what you need to do at a lower price.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Aimpoint will be enough for what you need to do at a lower price.  
View Quote

Word.

I have been consistantly able to make solid hits out to 300yds (the farthest Ive shot it) with my Aimpoint equiped carbine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Easy.

Get Both.

But seriously, I currently use Aimpoint and while I have no complaints for "practical shooting" but shooting at 200+ yards trying to achieve 2 MoA group leaves something to be desired.

Well Aimpoint is not designed for that, and I'd say for man-sized targets it is good out to 300 yards. And since you were asking for CQB to 100 meter type, Aimpoint is just perfect for that. Aimpoint should be a little bit faster than BAC ACOGs in that range.

And don't worry about the battery life. I haven't changed mine since I bought one in July 2002.

Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree on the Aimpoint.  Mine is a carbine that I use for HD and targets with a little varmint hunting on the side, with the ranges you specified, the Aimpoint is perfect
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Aimpoint is a great optic. I am in the process of moving mine on to a gun I like more but shoot less because I dont like the optic thats on it now very much.

However, the ACOG is on the gun I shoot most. The thing is, the ACOG does everything the Aimpoint does, and more. Yeah, you dont need magnification at the ranges you are talking about, but it does help with several things.

At FDCC, once in a while we'll set up an end of the match shoot out. But 5 rounds in a scored target. Target is never more than 50 yards away. Last time it was at 25. First person to finish gets 5 extra points. So there's this balance of trying to take your time and shoot 5 well placed shots into a very small 10 ring and trying to get the 5 extra points by finishing before the other two shooters going with you. Needless to say, ACOG users win that event every single time, without fail. The magnification has also helped shooters with target identification at closer ranges (under 30 yards) when it was not immediately obvious if the target was a threat or not.

I realize thats gun games of sorts, but I also know that it absolutely has implications in the real world. None of this is to say that you need an ACOG over an Aimpoint. Not at all. I will never get rid of my Aimpoint. However, I do like to try and point out that magnification is helpful for things other than distance shooting.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Neil, congrats on post #5K. All I have to say is that is a crap load of posts!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, I hadnt even realized... Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Slacker.

As for the Acog's winning the shootouts, If I remember correctly, some freak with an Aimpoint actually out shot the winner last month with his Acog, he just won because he got the extra 5 points for being a micro second faster with his trigger finger......[shock]      [:D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#9]
He was probably able to be faster with the trigger because of how the magnification was helping him get a more precise point of aim quicker! [:P].
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He was probably able to be faster with the trigger because of how the magnification was helping him get a more precise point of aim quicker! [:P].
View Quote

Ahhh. My point. He WASNT as accurate. His shots scored slightly lower. He just squeezed them off faster, thus the bonus putting him over the top. [}:D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#11]
He was quicker and while maybe not AS accurate, accurate enough to beat you, which is really my only point. If you remember, Paul who also made it to the finals, shoots with a TA31 as well. He pretty much ignored everyone around him and concentrated on making 5 perfect shots. He did, and the shots were one on top of the other. As accurate as they could be and the best I have seen for that type course, but he took too much time. The ACOG gives it all to you! Pass the ACOGs please. [naughty]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah whatever. [rolleyes]
[;)]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Food for thought... or maybe just to confuse the issue...

I'm running an aimpoint on an ARMS #22M68(cantilever spacer). Also use a TA01NSN ACOG on an ARMS #19S. Change out takes just a little longer than a mag change.
I can go with the best optic for the situation. Aimpoint for closer ranges/ faster tempo, NSN ACOG with fine retical for precise shots or longer ranges.
Stow the unused optic in my buttpack. Wonderful thing this modularity stuff....

(EDIT cause I can't spell)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top