Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2003 8:53:51 AM EDT
I’m sure many of you get tired of repeated “scope mount” questions but my search didn’t come up with the answers I’m looking for so see if you can help out.  

I’m setting up my 16” flat top to do some coyote hunting a little later in the fall.  Right now I have a Burris red dot on it which is ok but I’ve purchased a Leupold 2X7 VII that I want to mount on it for some longer range work.  I’d like to use some type of detachable mounts like the ARMS 22 (an option of course) but I’ve also got BMAS front and rear flip up sights on the rifle which I’d like to leave on when the scope is mounted.  

Questions:
If I go with the ARMS 22 which height would you suggest to clear the flip ups?

Would I be better off with a one piece mount or will I sacrifice eye relief adjustment?

What about something like the ARMS #5 Multi Base with regular rings?

( I have a selection of regular “low” rings.)

Any suggestions are welcome.

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply Troy.

So maybe short term I need to take the Yankee Hill off and just mount the scope and in the long term have a "dedicated" coyote rifle and another general purpose AR.[:)] a need for another rifle, yes

I'll also look into your suggestions of other flip up rears.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I followed Troy's advise, well sort of.  

I simply took the flip ups off and put an Armalite one piece on, I then mounted a 2x7 Leupold on it.  

The following observations on this combination:

The eye relief on the Leupold is a little bit long for this set up and therefore I've had to set the Armalite mount as far forward as it will go and still have a slot for the recoil lug to fit into.  This means the mount extends beyond my reciever by about 1 inch.  I really don't see this as a problem but we'll see as I shoot it.

The Leupold is a low mount, but I like this aspect of the set up, it keeps the scope as close as possible to the centerline of the barrel.  If low is a problem you could raise the whole combination a 1/2 with one of the rail extenders.

I'm going to try the setup as is before considering mods to it.

As for the flip ups, I think I'll save my pennies and buy another upper, that's what the whole black rifle thing is about anyway, right?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top