Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2003 9:53:37 AM EDT
Well, after a lot of research and pondering, I decided to ditch my EO Tech and replace it with an ACOG TA-31.

Fate was on my side because I found a dealer selling one brand new on eBay for $850 so I grabbed it. I somehow managed to avoid waiting weeks and weeks and weeks..I only waited 4 days from payment till delivery .

Tomorrow night I mount it on my AR and Saturday I zero her in.

Happiness is a TA-31 [:}]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#1]
That is an excellent choice, the TA31 is a great optic.  you will probably lose some time in Close in engagement, but in general, the TA31 will excel on your M4.  Although I would not trade my EOTech nor my Aimpoint for the ACOG since I would have set up a different upper for the seperate optic.

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That is an excellent choice, the TA31 is a great optic.  you will probably lose some time in Close in engagement, but in general, the TA31 will excel on your M4.  Although I would not trade my EOTech nor my Aimpoint for the ACOG since I would have set up a different upper for the seperate optic.
View Quote

Yeah, I know [:)]  - the TA-31 isn't as fast as the EO Tech but I bought the TA-31 as a general purpose optic. I'm debating whether to keep the EO Tech or not. I don't need the money so I'll probably keep it for now at least. If it ends up gathering dust for 6 months, then I'll sell it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Matt,

If you don't need the money right now, save the 552 and build another upper for it. never hurts to have two uppers. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, Chen, having a spare 552 is a good excuse to get another AR [}:D] Say something with a Stubby stock and a 14.5" bbl....
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on getting the optic. Man, Im telling you, with time and practice, you will be suprised just how little (if any!) speed you give up with BAC scopes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Actually, Chen, having a spare 552 is a good excuse to get another AR [}:D] Say something with a Stubby stock and a 14.5" bbl....
View Quote

Lol here comes the circular escalation...get another upper and put your EOTech on it...get another ACOG for it later anyway...get another upper...
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
just how little (if any!) speed you give up with BAC scopes.
View Quote

Neil,
You definately give up speed up close and personal with BAC.  I also found making a headshot at CQB distances tougher with a magnified optic over the 1x EO Tech (had to do with knowing where the point of aim was in relation to the rest of the head - (you were zoomed in too close).
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
just how little (if any!) speed you give up with BAC scopes.
View Quote

Neil,
You definately give up speed up close and personal with BAC.  I also found making a headshot at CQB distances tougher with a magnified optic over the 1x EO Tech (had to do with knowing where the point of aim was in relation to the rest of the head - (you were zoomed in too close).
View Quote

Well, like I said, I'm not getting rid of my EO Tech quite yet. [:)] Though, if I want to be able to swap the TA-31 with a dedicated CQB optic (which I'm not ruling out at this point), I'll have to grab an Aimpoint.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Forest,
AEM's post/review that was here and you have on your site is an example of how little (if any) speed we seem to be missing out on. How do you feel you are giving it up. With BAC it *IS* a dot sight, no?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#10]
If you don't need the money keep the Eotech.  You'll be happily surprised when you get another upper down the road.  Then if you want an Aimpoint sell the EO........but thats another topic!  I think the Eo is up and coming in the CQB world!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you don't need the money keep the Eotech.  You'll be happily surprised when you get another upper down the road.  Then if you want an Aimpoint sell the EO........but thats another topic!  I think the Eo is up and coming in the CQB world!
View Quote

Then again, no optics package is complete without all three.  Keep the EOTech and save up for an Aimpoint.  That might even give you a good reason for a third AR.  Seriously, though, all three have their strengths and weaknesses.  Keep both and, if you are inclined, get an Aimpoint at some point just to keep yourself covered (no pun intended).  Then there's the AN-PVS 14 (or even 18), but that's another story all together.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I got the TA-31 zero'd today and I'm very impressed with it. It was worth every penny. As a magnified optic it's crystal clear. As far as BAC goes, I can see why everyone raves about it. It really is amazing. But, it will take a wee bit of practice to be able to use it quickly.

Before I got it to the range, the dot seemed a bit small as I'm used to the 65 MOA ring/1 MOA dot of the EO Tech. But once I got it on a target at 100 yds, it didn't seem that small anymore [8D]

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with my EO Tech yet. As much as I'm impressed by the TA-31, I won't be parting with my EO Tech any time soon. For now, the EO Tech is still a better CQB sight for me but then again, I'm used to it. I can see how shooting with both eyes open using the TA-31 allows you to use it like a red dot.

I bought the TA-31 so I could have a high-quality GP optic and it definitely fills that role. With some time and and practice, I'm sure I will appreciate it's CQB ability even more.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#13]
BTW, isn't it interesting how many people have viewed this thread? [:D]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top