Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2003 7:27:58 PM EDT
Any tricks or special procedures for this task?

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I generally bore sight the thing on a distant object (the neighbor down the street porch light) before putting the thing on paper.

I zero 2" (2.1" [rolleyes]) high at 100 yards for a zero at 200 yards (215 yards [rolleyes]) which is good enough for all the combat I'm likely to see.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
PS: as they can be mounted with either adjustmet turret facing upwards read the L-R facing one to read the movement direction.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Also using iron sights? Iron sights already zeroed? If so, adjust the red dot to sit on top of the front sight post, like a ball sitting on top of a fence post. That will get you pretty close, then you can tweak it at the live fire range.

Whether or not cowitnessing with iron sights, boresighting it like Paul suggested works. Just be careful where you point it so you don't scare your neighbors. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I generally bore sight the thing on a distant object (the neighbor down the street porch light) before putting the thing on paper.

I zero 2" (2.1" [rolleyes]) high at 100 yards for a zero at 200 yards (215 yards [rolleyes]) which is good enough for all the combat I'm likely to see.
View Quote

And I always thought aimpoints were best at quick acquisition of targets at closer ranges.  Don't most folks have it zeroed for 100- yards?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And I always thought aimpoints were best at quick acquisition of targets at closer ranges.  Don't most folks have it zeroed for 100- yards?
View Quote

No most of us Zero it at 50 yards which produces a very nice 200M zero.  Allows precision shots to 220M - and COM shots to over 300M with no holdover.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:33:58 AM EDT
[#6]
first rotate your aimpoint so the adjustment turrets are at 45 deg angles to the target...  [%|]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#7]
SMARTASS!  ALready tried that & it doesn't work:)

You see, I thought the little AIMPOINT words on the flip up lense covers should be STRAIGHT & the lense covers should flip straight up.  This canted the turrets.

OK, It was LATE when I did that, but not that late!

ANYWAY, I went home and straightened things out Sat. night and got a zero to my iron sight's point of aim.

Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I went with a 50yd zero for both my aimpoint and my irons on my short AR.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#9]
hey SC.

have you removed that stupid triangular rubber piece yet?
i pulled mine off after almost buggering the battery compartment threads.  it's about 10 times easier to work with when you take it off.  the caps have little mushroom heads and it looks kind of funny but who cares?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Zero at 50 yards!
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I zero at 50 yards as well.

First I zero in my ARMS #40 BUIS at 50,
than comes the Aimpoint. Makes the process so much easier if you zero in your irons first, then make corrections on the Aimpoint following suit.
And yes, the Red dot should sit right on top of your Front sight.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Back to the co-witness for a minute. I have a bi-level scope mount attached to my carry handle. So all I have to do is mount my aimpoint on the lower level above the barrel and I can have a co-witness? Am I understanding this right?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Shoot me an email and I'll send you chart that shows the advantages of 50yd zero, courtesy of Pat Rogers of Gunsite/SWAT magazine fame.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]
[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Back to the co-witness for a minute. I have a bi-level scope mount attached to my carry handle. So all I have to do is mount my aimpoint on the lower level above the barrel and I can have a co-witness? Am I understanding this right?
View Quote

Well, If your A2 apeture is zeroed in already, just adjust your Aimpoint to correct Zero using your irons(small apeture) as a guide(Red dot sits atop front site) and it will cowitness just fine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Went to the range.  I still ain't happy w/ the zero.  The 4 moa dot covers the center of the target at 100yds and the groups are HUGE.  They seemd to be getting smaller, but this ain't a precision device.

Anyway, I'll fire a couple of hundred through it this weekend & see if I can get the groups smaller.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#17]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=258&iImageUnq=15721[/img]

Forgive my attempt at jpg'ing a word document
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Went to the range.  I still ain't happy w/ the zero.  The 4 moa dot covers the center of the target at 100yds and the groups are HUGE.  They seemd to be getting smaller, but this ain't a precision device.

Anyway, I'll fire a couple of hundred through it this weekend & see if I can get the groups smaller.
View Quote

Well the Aimpoint Comp M2(military designation M68 CCO) is designed to be just that: A Close Combat Optic. It happens that it is effective out to 300 meters.

Yes it is a 4MOA(M68 model) dot. it's Point of impact on man-sized targets is capable of under 4"  from 100 to 300 meters.

If you were expecting sub MOA shots you should have went with a power magnification scope, not saying that it is not possible with the Aimpoint
- shooter error.

IB.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ahhh, if you'd only gone with an EoTech.  Your dot would only be 1 moa.  [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Like I said, its practice that will bring the groups in tighter.  That and learning how to develop a repeatable sightpicture w/ the 4 MOA dot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Like I said, its replicating the same sight picture which is one of the keys to good groups.

If I could put the recticle in the SAME place each and every time I could see how small a group the gun/sight combo would shoot.

PRACTICE PRACTICE, you know the rest.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
what are you saying SC?
do you want custom targets?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Well 308Wood, custom targets would be nice:)

I shot the 100yd line today and put 30 rounds in a 5MOA bullseye.

Not perfect, but MUCH better than I thought possible last week.

I turned the dot's brightness WAY down and worked on maintaining the SAME sight picture.  

Will keep working on it next week.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You see, I thought the little AIMPOINT words on the flip up lense covers should be STRAIGHT & the lense covers should flip straight up.  This canted the turrets.
View Quote

Ok...I have a question regarding this part of the post, sorry to regress, but just got my aimpoint on my new M4 last night![:D]

Is it possible to move those flip up covers?  Mine flip out at a 45 degree angle or so and I would like to have them flip straight up.  Tried to move them but they didn't want to budge and I didn't want to force it.

Pretty sure I've seen this answer somewhere before but can't find it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes, they'll move.  Gently but firmly pull them off and stick them back on the way you want them.  You really want them to flip DOWN, so they're out of your field of view and not likely to get caught on anything.

[url]webpages.charter.net/lousar/pictures/DSC00006.jpg[/url] Troy, which mount is that?

-Troy
View Quote
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top