Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 2:25:24 PM EDT
Hey all. I have the model 552 which I love. I've noticed that there is a newer model (latest revision) with raised buttons, etc. and enhanced waterproof characteristics. I FEEL CHEATED! Anyway, what's the difference so far as being waterproof, etc? I feel as if I have the older model now. Somebody set me straight as to the difference. SMGLee, where you at???

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The latest versions of the 551 and 552 are different in the following ways:
- As you mentioned, raised buttons for ease of use when wearing gloves or operating in the dark
- Improved battery life as follows:
   - 552 > 500 hours with lithium AA's vs. 350 hours in the previous version/
   - 551 > 100 hours with "N" batteries vs. 70 hours in the previous version.
- Submersible down to 33 feet.

As far as feeling cheated, when did you get your 552? The latest rev didn't come out that long ago (March or April 2003).
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Matt pretty much hit it on the nail.

The battery is between 500-800 hours for the AA and 100-150 hours for the N cell.  the dive rate is 33 factory claimed, but in reality the unit is good for depth at 66 ft.

If you don't work for hte military and you are just range shoot, you will be fine with your older 552.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the older model submersible to 33 feet as well? I purchased mine maybe a year ago. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Chen, IIRC, the battery life is rated based upon the default "boot-up" brightness setting of 12, correct? In other words, the numbers I gave are in the middle of the curve, so to speak.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It is for 33ft but not for 24 hours.  the older version will stay there for an hour.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top