Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 6:50:34 AM EDT
i want to get an optic for my bushy.  the gun is used mainly for entry purposes, but want to do some medium range shooting as well. i like the looks of the eotech sight, but do they work, and if so which model would be best.  as i said this gun is mainly used on my departments swat team as an entry gun, so night vision compatible would be helpful. thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=164971&w=searchPop]Recent six page thread[/url]

And yes they work, and very well.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#2]
what is "medium range shooting"?

eotech sights have a digital image burned on a screen and they tend to glimmer or flicker as the dot "moves across the surface".  it's not what i want if i have to shoot past 100 yds and i can't consistently shoot 6" or smaller targets at 100.  it's great at 50.

i think you would be better served with dedicated uppers one CQB and one "sniper"  with a Leupold target scope.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Never noticed a glimmer or flicker with my 552.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I've nevered noticed a glimmer or flicker, and I shoot 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards with my EOTech. The 1 MOA dot makes it easy to shoot long distances.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy crap, Lumpy196 actually having a good word to say about the EOTech! [;)]

Yes, check out the thread Lumpy references it should answer all you questions.

BTW, I also do not notice any glimmer or flicker from my 552 regardless of target range or movement.

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont know how it got started that I think Eotechs suck...

I just think Aimpoints are WAY better [;)]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#7]
what i am referring to is the image is grainy or digital and it looks like the "circle-Dot" jumps from one set of facets to the next as it moves across the surface of the window.  i find it distracting for long range shooting.  i can't get it to settle perfectly  on a small target at 200 yds the way a cross hair will.  it looks like it "vibrates" when on target.  if it works for you that's great.  it doesn't work for me.  i wouldn't want to be a cop trying to shoot a bad guy with one at 150 yds.  if you want to tag something that's fine.  police need to be a little more precise.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i wouldn't want to be a cop trying to shoot a bad guy [s]with one[/s] at 150 yds.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i wouldn't want to be a cop trying to shoot a bad guy [s]with one[/s] at 150 yds.
View Quote
View Quote

Um, er, uhh......[lol]

EOTechs definitely have their place. I too am one that just likes Aimpoints better.
I know what 308W is talking about with the reticle image, but I also havent noticed it with current EOTechs. I do remember seeing it back when the Bushnell HOLOsight FIRST came out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

reasonable working ranges for a designated police marksman should be 200-300 yds.  i just don't think the EOtech is up to that specific task.    
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
reasonable working ranges for a designated police marksman should be 200-300 yds.  i just don't think the EOtech is up to that specific task.    
View Quote

Few points:
1) The EO Tech isn't for a 'marksmans' rifle - its a CQB type optic that will allow you to make hits to 300-400M.

2) How many Police shootings occur at over 100 yards? (I bet you'll have trouble finding more than 2 in the last 10 years).

3) The EO Tech's 1 moa dot is plenty good for shooting someone COM at 150 yards if you had to - heck if you can't do it its not the fault of the sight or the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most all the sharpshooter engagement distance are at 75-100yards.  This is statically kept data by FBI.  

For sharp shooter, I would not recommend any red dot period.  you are always better off with an magnified optic.  

If you are using it mainly for entry and also use it for some mid range shooting, you are better off getting the EOTech, since the EOTechis the fastest CQB optic on the market. but if your primary task is the perimeter rifleman, you should invest in a compact ACOG or a ACOG TA31 at least.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the help guys. gun is used 95% of the time for cqb. and also in some local matches out to 250-300 meters. sounds like this would be perfect for me(have been using iron sights) thanks for all the help
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a EOTECH and love it.  I have no problem shooting steel plates at 300 yards with my 16" Bushy.  The steel plates were about 8" by 10" (we used them for a "vital" zone at a defensive carbine class).  I guess I have not spent much time with a Aimpoint, but I definitely like my EOTECH.
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
eotech sights have a digital image burned on a screen and they tend to glimmer or flicker as the dot "moves across the surface".  it's not what i want if i have to shoot past 100 yds and i can't consistently shoot 6" or smaller targets at 100.  it's great at 50.
View Quote

You need to get your eyes checked man.  Either that or lay off the LSD.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top