Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 1:58:07 AM EDT
I'm looking for a red dot sight for my new RRA.  The rifle has the detachable tactical carry handle.  Do I need any special scope rings or mounts?  Anyone have the Aimpoint Comp C or the Aimpoint Comp M2 mounted to their ar?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The standard Aimpoint ring will cowitness with the irons on your tac-handle.It's very secure,looks good(matches finish),and is reasonably priced.I was dead set on an ARMS #22M68 for mine but it (I was told by a reliable individual)was too tall to cowitness the irons when mounted on the tac-handle.I reluctantly accepted a very generous offer on the Aimpoint mount and am now glad I did.It does evrything I need it to and is a pretty beefy unit(2 cross bolts would be better).

I was certain that I needed QD but if you can use your iron sights through the scope QD is really of limited value.All this being said the only downside that I can see is you can't turn the rear flip cover to open downward because it lays on top of the rear sight,I can live with this you may not.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The Aimpoint RailGrabber will co-witness with the iron sights. It repeats zero when removed. Filling the caps upside down (they're right side up here) allows the front cap to lay flat on the handguards and the rear one drops down almost flat and still allows the use of the back up iron sight.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=87[/img]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Comp C with some M2 upgrades(M2 flip up caps,M2 baterry cap and M2 rubber strap.)mounted on my M4A3. It's works great. I use the Aimpoint
Rail Grabber QRP mount that Paul has posted with the flat top spacer. If you're looking for an Authentic mil-spec, official USGI issue mount, The QRP is the way to go. QRP: NSN-1240-01-439-7265.

However the ARMS #22 M68 with spacer/cantilever spacer is just as good if not better. GG&G makes awesome cantilever mounts as well.

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I was running Aimpoint M2's on my M4 but eventually switched them to an MP5 and M1A NM.

When I initially installed the Aimpoint on the M4 I used one Leupold MK IV Super high ring, 30mm and it worked fantastic. Well enough that two friends bought a set of Leupold rings at a show and split the price. Still, things change and when I needed the full set of 30mm rings to go towards a scope for .50 bmg shooting I opted for the GGG Cantilever mount. It worked great until I switched optics. Both systems co witnessed just fine.

I wouldn't actually suggest you go out and spend the money for a set of the Leupolds, mind you that was a situation where I just had the rings waiting for the big rifle to arrive so pressed them into service. The dedicated style Aimpoint mounts are much better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I just finished my Aimpoint setup this weekend:

Aimpont CompC
A.R.M.S. #17 throw lever mount w/full spacer.
A.R.M.S. #40 as a BUIS.

I really like it, but the full spacer puts the dot above the iron sights a bit, so it's not true "co-witnessing" but I like it a bit better (allows more head movement while using the dot.)

With the half-spacer you get true co-witnessing, but you see more of the front sight tower when using the Aimpoint only.

I bought the CompC over the CompM2 based on my gunsmiths reccomendation. It was also $80 cheaper. Anybody have feelings about one over the other?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Troy,

For some reason I can't view your picture. Could you post a link to it?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't see Troy's pic either.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#9]
New2Ars, I also opted for the Comp C, based on the price.  Supposedly the only difference is the depth of the waterproofing...but like I've said before, if I'm in water deeper than 8' or whatever the Comp C is rated to...(or is that meters), I've got MUCH bigger problems hehe.  Right now, I'm using the stock mount...but I'm gonna grab either the Aimpoint mount, or the 22M68...just haven't figured out which one.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I did a side-by-side comparison od the CompC and CompM2 Specs. Here are the differences:

NightVision compatability: C-NO M2-YES
Case Finish: C-Anidozed M2 Hard anodized  
Size/weight: C-Slighly shorter & Lighter (barely)
Temp. Rating: C- -20F-+140F M2- -50F-+160F
Water Resistance: C- waterproof to 2 meters M2- Submersible to 25 meters. [0j]

Whats the difference between the 22M68 and the #17 mount? My gunsmith only had a #17 TriLok, so I used it. The #40 flip up is schweet BTW!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top