Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2003 4:27:00 PM EDT
Anyone have an aimpoint mounted on their AR with an a2 upper. Is there a way to mount one besides on the carry handle, and how does it perform? Any pics would be great. I don't have a flattop and dont really want to spend the money to change over to one. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint makes a goose-neck mount that places the sight in front of the carry handle, allowing the sight to co-witness the irons. ARMS also makes a similar mount (the #39A2) that includes a rail on top of the carry handle, in case you want to add something there, as well. Cav Arms makes a mount very similar to the Aimpoint mount. Benny Cooley makes an adjustable goose-neck mount, which is available from Bushmaster.

[url]www.aimpoint.com[/url]

[url]www.armsmounts.com[/url]

[url]www.cavalryarms.com[/url]

[url]www.bushmaster.com[/url]

There are a lot more out there to choose from, but these will get you started.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with the ARMS mount over the Aimpoint.  Unless they changed their deign, the Aimpoint mount isn't as secure as the ARMS mount, which has 2 mounting points as compared to the one screw for the hole in the carry handle.  Anyone try the Ben Cooley mount yet?  I like the idea of the adjustability for M4 handguards, but I'm wondering if it as sturdy as the ARMS mount.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone try the Ben Cooley mount yet? I like the idea of the adjustability for M4 handguards, but I'm wondering if it as sturdy as the ARMS mount.
View Quote
I'm curious to see a review, myself. I haven't been able to tell, but if it's a simple slide-adjuster held by screw tension, I doubt it'd be anywhere near as durable as the #39A2. Different sets of screw holes, though...
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Both the Aimpoint Forward Mount and ARMS #39A2Plus perform the same function.  The Aimpoint Mount is USGI for the M16A2 and holds zero.  The #39 has more flexibility as it allows the sight to go farther forward.

I have the ARMS on my early M4 carbine with fixed handle.  I've used the Aimpoint model without problems on the M16A2.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thought I saw a pic of an aimpoint mounted on the front handguards ahead of the carry handle? Is that possible? Like to see some pics if possible.[:D]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top