Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2003 5:10:58 PM EDT
2 questions for those more experienced than I am with this subject, both deal with mounting an Aimpoint Comp ML2 with an A.R.M.S #22M68 and spacer on a flattop AR-15 carbine.

1.  What is the best place on the flattop to put it?  To the front, middle, or rear and why?
No other accessories are going to be added to the flattop except the ML2.

2.  What is the best way (axially) to orient the ML2 in the ring?  W&E knobs top and right or top and left or somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance for all comments and assistance.  If you are ever in the northeast part of Arkansas I'll buy you a beer!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
as far foward as you can,  better feild of veiw.
make sre you can get the battery out without taking out the ml2.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the compromise between FoV and weight balance. I put my center of #22M68 on top of delta ring area.

[IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/p46cb07d25707c65e17652da6a413e214/fb93103e.jpg[/IMG]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
2 questions for those more experienced than I am with this subject, both deal with mounting an Aimpoint Comp ML2 with an A.R.M.S #22M68 and spacer on a flattop AR-15 carbine.
View Quote

Dump the plain full height spacer and get the ARMS cantilever spacer. This will put the ML2 as far forward as possible while mounting it off the receiver rail. Wes at MSTN.biz sells the cantilever space for around $30.

1.  What is the best place on the flattop to put it?  To the front, middle, or rear and why? No other accessories are going to be added to the flattop except the ML2.
View Quote

As stated, you should always mount a red-dot optic as far forward as possible. The dot/reticle will be clearer and your FOV will not be "cluttered" by the optic's body (especially important with Aimpoints). Once you try it, you're see what I mean. OF course, the best way to get a red-dot as far forward as possible is by mounting it on the top rail of a FF RAS. I know you don't have on but it's good to now at least.

2.  What is the best way (axially) to orient the ML2 in the ring?  W&E knobs top and right or top and left or somewhere in between?
View Quote

If you're a righty, mount the Aimpoint with knobs on the right so, if you carry your rifle across your chest, the switch won't rub against you and change settings or, in the case of the ML-2, shut off. If you're a southpaw, reverse that. If you don't EVER plan on carrying your rifle across your chest, then it doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance for all comments and assistance.  If you are ever in the northeast part of Arkansas I'll buy you a beer!
View Quote

I'm probably ordering an Aimpoint M2 this week myself. I need to T&E one for myself [:)]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I swim against the flow.  I like mine just slightly over the Delta ring.  Its what works best for me an my eyes.  As a general rule, as far forward as you like while still maintaining a good balance to the rifle.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=235&iImageUnq=12668[/img]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Do as Lumpy and MAtt_B says.  Find the best possible field of view without loosing your rifle balance.  an over front heavy rifle will cause you to over swign on your target. and tend to swing slower from rest.  just think of a heavy car, it will take longer to get up to speed and longer to stop then a lighter car.

Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never noticed the extra weight from putting my EO Tech way up front. I guess it's because I've got an RAS, a Picatinny gas block and a folding front sight to begin with [:)]
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Lumpy,
Is that a 6 volt or 9 volt surefire on your setup? I am curious about how you like it (balance, brightness etc)
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Its the 9v 962 model.  It's got a decent heft to it, but not enough to worry me.  The light output is OUTSTANDING.  Not so bright that it causes any problems indoors, but focused enough that Ive been able to clearly illuminate a target a 75yds.  Im sure I could do that a little further, just havent had the opportunity arise.

[url=http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=235&iImageUnq=12665]Full photo[/url]
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
SWEET!
I GOTA GET ME ONE OF THEM!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I like my Aimpoint ML2 to be mounted as far rearward as possible.  In my opinion, that gives the best field of view (fov).  Since your eye is closer, more of the critical target area is visible through the Aimpoint's lens.  When mounted forward, the area obscured by optic's housing, mounts and caps is annoying, and I get an effect like I'm looking through a tunnel.

It's just a personal preference I guess, but count me as a "mount it close to your eye" kind of guy.

Ted
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ted,

FWIW, the AimPoint (and EOTech, Reflex, OKO, etc.) is designed to be mounted FORWARD, and to be used with both eyes open.  If you're using it like a conventional scope (rear-mounted, one eye closed), it IS like looking through a tunnel, and you are squandering much of the optic's capability.  It takes a period of adjustment to get used to using the sight as it's designed, but it is much, much faster to get on target and get off an accurate shot when it is mounted forward.  It also allows you to have much better situational awareness, because you have both eyes open and your field of view is virtually unobstructed.

-Troy
View Quote

Troy is preaching the gospel Ted.

Ted, you don't know what you're missing until you try mounting your Aimpoint as far forward as possible. It's a whole different world. If you're using the Aimpoint with eyes open, you have the largest FOV your eyes can give you. The whole point of any red-dot is not to have you look through the optic but rather to look past it and let the red dot superimpose itself on the target. Take a lot at how the military mounts their Aimpoints - they ALWAYS mount them as far forward as possible even if it's just to the end of the receiver. If you have a FF RAS, your can really get it out there.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top