Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2003 7:21:51 PM EDT
There have been threads of different types lately talking about the Eotech, but it mainly was about comparing it to an Aimpoint or talking about the reticle.

One complaint that comes up about the Eotech is that, on a flattop upper, it mounts directly to the flattop which leaves it kind of low. The front sight takes up the lower half or so, while an Aimpoint could be set up so the front sight covered the lower third or so.

Not having one in person, and being kind of clueless about this, I have a possibly dumb question. If the Eotech comes with it's own mount for the flattop, could you just put it on top of a riser to get it a little higher? That way the front sight would be lower in it, more like the Aimpoint. Is that a dumb question?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a dumb question!  Mounting the EO directly to the flat top sits it just right IMO.  I think ARMS has a mount for it of some sorts but it is for an A1 upper I think so that doesnt really address your questions well.  I have mounted mine on my SIR #45 at times and it sits way to high to co witness the irons but thats not really a problem since you can remove the site pretty quick if you really need to.  It is best mounted directly to the upper.  I think ARMS is developing a throw lever mount for the EOTECH but it is not out at this time!  I would assume it would raise the site a bit since it already has to centend with it's built in mount.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
New ARGuy, we need that FAQ up and running soon.  [;)]

Deniro,

EOTech is build with the flat top in mind, the front post will sit a bit lower the mid section of the optic window when you mount it directly to the flat top.  

ARMS makes a high rise mount for SIR which an operator can use the chest mount CQB stance and have the sight directly under your nose(quick tuck on the head ans the reticle is on target.)

There are goose neck mounts that will work with A1 carry handle upper namely PRI and BC CAM, BC CAM is height adjustable so you can place the reticle window anywhere within the adjustment slot.

Thye EOTech can go on a riser or a sleeve rail but it will put the EOTech too high for CO-witness.  if that is important to you.

EOTech on a flat top upper
[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/guns/reticle.jpg[/img]

hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]
As SMGLee points out - all the risers raise the sight a bit too much.  It only needs to go up about a quarter of an inch (to be perfect IMHO) - all the risers I've seen raise the sight up at least 0.5" (or more).

Note in SMGLees picture the front sight looks low (wish it was that way) then note the reticle looks like its integrated with the front sight.  If the camera angle were closer to where your eye would be (so the reticle is in the center of the window) you would see the front sight filling up more of the picture.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
So I could use a spacer, as long as I don't mind not being able to cowitness, right? I don't like how it seems that the dot is at the same location as the front sight, even though it has been said that you don't really notice it. I will probably get the Eotech and see what I think of it before getting a spacer or anything. I just wanted to see what my options were.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]
You really don't need a spacer for the Eotech...it sits at the PERFECT height for an instantaneous sight picture when you bring the rifle up to any normal firing position.  The intensity of the outer/inner ring is such that it will completely overshadow the front sight, if you turn it up even close to all the way.  

With a #40, you will have an ideal optics/buis arrangement, IMHO.  

BTW, I just got my Aimpoint Comp C.  I don't know how much brighter than the Comp C the M/ML2s are, but I am underwhelmed by the brightness of this sight.  Maybe I'm spoiled by the incredibley bright 10moa dot my ProPoint3 Plus has, but I can see that in a bright outdoor setting, this dot is gonna be hard to see.  

This was a gift, and I couldn't really ask the person to shell out any more money than they did...but I will have to think about whether to keep it or not based on the lack of brightness, to be honest.  I'll head for the range tomorrow, it's gonna be nice and sunny here.  

If I could find a better mount setup for the ProPoint3, I'd be very happy...that's the one drawback to that sight so far...really cheap rings, and it's a 33mm tube...so I can't find anything else that will work.  

NO such problems with my Holosight...that is one bright sight.  You will love the Eotech, I'm sure.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top