Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2003 7:30:03 AM EDT
I went out to the range this weekend to sight in my new aimpoint but had a lot of trouble.  I am sure this is completely user error, as I went through five mags and stll no results.  I just installed a rock river arms 2 stage which should have helped, but after 5 mags, the retainer pin had pushed out the side of the lower receiver a bit.

I just need some basic tips on callibrating the aimpoint as I want to get this platform up and running.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
First of all do a fifty yard zero.

Then you do a minute of rock.  find a rock at the same range and see where your bullet are hitting against the ground. adjust the Aimpoint to the rock. once you are hitting the rock, move onto the target.  sightin by clicking copule of clicks at a time, four or five clicks would equal about an inch and half of movement (1/3 moa per click), memorize the clicks so if you go pass your zero, you can always reurn the number of clicks you previously set.  take your time and shoot three shot at a time always aim at the same point of aim no matter where your bullets are lanf=ding, after three shots adjust the aimpoint accordingly.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#2]
It isn't the optic, it sometng else. You don't say what weapon/model. Where it is mounted (rear, mid, or forward). What ht., off the receiver, in a raised ring direct on the receiver, or off a sleeve and what sleeve platform or you using plastic handguards withj a rail? What scope ring, and is it correct in ht. to co-witness? Need info to help.
Good shootin, Jack
Most ranges do not have rocks on them to shoot at as they tend to ricochet the bullets, not good..
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Most ranges do not have rocks on them to shoot at as they tend to ricochet the bullets, not good..
View Quote

I tend to shoot at the desert, there is enough rocks out here.  I guess I did not make my point clear, rock, batch of grass, soda can, or anything that will give you a marker.

Jack is correct, if you are having problem zeroing your Aimpoint, you might want to investigate your mounting solution and how it is mounted.

Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:00:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the sight directly attatched to the receiver using a GG&G Cantilever cowitnessed with an ARMS #40 BUIS.  I am using a Knight's RIS but do not have the optics mounted to it.  As far as I know and have been told my several members on here, the GG&G Cantilever directly cowitnesses with the ARMS BUIS.

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#5]
My works fine before I went to range used laser bore sighter I have to sight it in at about 30 yards one end of garage to other. It got me one the target at 50. I love my GG&G Cantilever Aimpoint M2 and my Arms #40. Better then my Cmore scout on my Oly 9mm A2.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#6]
That is an excelletn setup, I couldn't set it up any better.  

Try the minute ole rock method, of course observe all range safety and the rock is basically a marker at 50 to 100, it will get your windage and elevation pretty much on track before you tackle the paper.  remember couple of click at a time and if you still have problem, try to ask someone you know to give it shot, if he is having problem also then you might want to look into the hardwares.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
SMGLee, I use the minute of dirt clod lol...same idea, but they try to keep as many rocks off the berm as possible.  

Anyway, that's about the easiest way possible to get something on paper.  Once you get close enough to not really be able to tell how far you're missing it by, you're usually close enough to move to the paper.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top