Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2003 6:02:33 PM EDT
I am somewhat new to assault rifles with optics on them. When I was in the 82nd airborne, I carried an M16 A1, steel sights.
Now I own an M-4(gery) and am interested in a red dot system or other optic.
Does anyone have a good link to the differences between them and/or have a good explanation as to which would be best to use.
I generally take my rifle out to the range every month or so and put a couple hundred rounds through it each time.
I would like to get involved with some tactical shooting club, but none are in the general area...need to find the right club in the right location...but that is another post in another forum.
Thank you for any advice you can give.
Mike
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The Eotech v. Aimpoint thread from hell is here:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=164971&w=myTopicPop[/url]

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Lumpy is right...the debate betwee the 2 rages.  The bottom line is you can't go wrong with either.  Everyone has their personal preference; if you can, find someone who has one or both, and see which one you prefer.  There are military/LE versions of both, and "civilian" versions...the civilian versions are less expensive.

I think the Eotech/Holosight reticle takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it really becomes second nature to you.  I don't have an Aimpoint yet...hopefully within a couple of weeks.  I got a Bushnell Holosight instead of the Eotech for budget reasons, but I'm very happy with it.  Depending on prices in your area, the Bushnell can be $70 to $100 cheaper than the Eotech.  Both come with a mount; just slap it on the rifle and tighten the hex nut.  

Also, if you're buying the military grade of the Aimpoint, you're paying about $35 to $50 more than the Comp C, and you'll need to get a mount of some variety...which adds another $85 to $100 to the equation for the mount, depending on what you get.  The Comp C comes with a 30mm ring to mount out of the box.

If money is no object, then just get the one that suits you the best. You're gonna hear a lot of sh** from folks who have a preference...it should be fun [:D].  
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with the mil-spec Aimpoint about four or five years ago and have enjoyed the hell out of my red-dot-of-death.

I went with a fixed rear iron sight with the red dot mounted in front for perfect co-location. The red dot sits on top of the front iron sight which lets me know that everything is still zeroed in.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the opinions trickling in.
The link truly brings into focus (pun intended) the battle that rages between the sight leaders.
Where are the best deals for these sights? I have seen quite the wide range in price in places such as Shotgun News.
Thanks for bringing additional info to the table.
Mike
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a smoken deal at GG&G. They are selling Aimpoints and EOTechs in packages, with there rings or sights or both.
I don,t care for the eotech reticile. I bought a
M68 and cantilever mount from them. The mount has a spare battery compartment built in.It works slick.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top