Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2003 10:08:05 AM EDT
I've seen a few a few Aimpoints mounted with a 22M68 and a 1/2 height riser. If you use this set-up, I'd be interested to know why.

I know the full height riser puts the irons sights in lower third of the Aimpoint. I've got folding front and rear sights on my AR so if I can get away with a 1/2 height riser, I would like to.

BTW, I have searched the boards for this info and did not find an answer.

TIA.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT. I would sincerely appreciate any info anyone has on my question. I'm going to get an Aimpoint would just like to know about the 1/2 height riser.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the half spacer on an FN-FAL. A full spacer or thier cantilever spacer is needed if going off the flat top. The red dot wanders as it should no matter where your eye is, so you need the correct ht. for the dot to always clear the front sight post. The full spacer ht's are at the military designated ht. for very good reasons.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply Jack. I appreciate the info.

What I don't understand is why I should use the full height spacer when my rifle has flip-up front and rear sights.

Please understand that I don't want to come off as argumentative about this, I just want to know if I use the half-height spacer, would that place the irons in the middle of the Aimpoint's glass?

Almost every AR I've seen with a full height spacer also has a fixed front sight. Alternatively, I have seen an AR with a half-height spacer but, unfortunately, the pic does not show the front sight. If I had a fixed front sight, I would understand why I should use a full height spacer.

BTW, FWIW, I should have mentioned that I would want to mount the Aimpoint on my FF RAS so I wouldn't need to use the cantilever mount.

Again, thank you for the response. I was beginning to think I was never going to get any replies [:(]
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi Matt,
ALL AR15 front and rear sights are at the same basic ht. off the center line of the bore and thus the flat top receiver. You have a staight line butt stock, and so you will not have the red dot wonder on occastion into the front sight, you need the ht. of the receiver provided by the full spacer. The military established the ht. for some of these reasons. Another thing is that you have a red dot optic, not a sniper scope. Red dot optics are for quick target response and you can't do that if your head position is down to low and also blocking your peripheral vision. Your also
best served by keeping the optic as far forwad as pos. and keeping both eyes open by super impossing the dot on the target from what your eyes can see, makes it quick and accurate.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Red dot optics are for quick target response and you can't do that if your head position is down to low and also blocking your peripheral vision.
View Quote

That statement alone makes perfect sense and I don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

Your also best served by keeping the optic as far forwad as pos. and keeping both eyes open by super impossing the dot on the target from what your eyes can see, makes it quick and accurate.
Good shootin, Jack
View Quote

I'm with you on that Jack. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top