Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2003 2:58:38 PM EDT
Which tritium powered reflex is better and why:  Meprolight reflex or Trijicon reflex?

Which battery operated reflex is better and why:  OKO sight or C-More sight?

This is basically for a home defense carbine and will be used within the confines of my home.  Which one would fill the bill best?  Any and all observations and ideas are welcome.

I already have an Aimpoint and an EOTech, so leave those out unless you feel those are absolutely necessary for a simple "bump-in-the-night" rifle.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I would definitely have to say that the Aimpoint and Eotech are the better red dot sights out there followed by the OKO and then the Trijicon then the Meprolight.

The Cmore I would place at the bottom of the list for durability issues and complaints about wandering zeros.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I thought.  Although there was a post here a week ago when someone commented that heidi Smith used a C-More on her AR at Thunder Ranch.  I'm sure they don't endorse it or anything, but she uses it, so does that give it any merit whatsoever?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They wash out in bright sun
They wash out when you use a flashlight
They was out COMPLETELY under Sodium parking lot lights.
The fog easily.
Dust in the projector of mine made REALLY pretty pictures on my reticle.
The blue background makes it impossible to see long range targets in dim light.

Aimpoint or Eotech.  The only serious choices.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Since this is for "things that go bump in the night" and other real world issues, then you need a setup that works when you pick it up.

Which in theory the Reflex II does nicely, however, with the various wash out issues, I passed on the Reflex myself.

With battery powered sight (i.e. Aimpoint or Eotech), would go with a good set of iron sights which you can use through the Aimpoint when you do not get time to turn on the red dot (I would even leave the rear iron sight in the up setting if the rifle is kept in a ready conditon).

One factor discussed in the past, is how well you can turn on the Aimpoint vs Eotech under pressure (second vote for twist a knob).  

An initial idea is leaving the Aimpoint on all the time and changing the batteries every few months (no for sure is even an option as while a life of thousands of hours at the lowest setting of night vission is discussed, have not seen a chart of on time vs. brightness settings), however, appears a good way to end up with dead batteries.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

What?  LUMPY giving EoTech a thumbs up?  
I knew you'd come over to the dark side... [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Aimpoint 0X 4 MOA, Comp C,M2,ML2-HANDS DOWN.

I live right down the street(same street) from Eotech;great guys gave me a tour of their facility,showed me all their different models, their laboratory, their manufacturing process, great product and team......still went with the Aimpoint Comp.

In the future I would be more than willing to give them(EOTech) a shot.

I would be Scurred shitless to drop an OKO or other open top "Scout" type reflex sight(besides Trijicon Relex) on it's top! I could see the damn things shattering to a million pieces! Neve r used one but have handled/heard enough about them. Looks like a fragile POS to me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What?  LUMPY giving EoTech a thumbs up?  
I knew you'd come over to the dark side... [}:D]
View Quote

Uh, negative Ghost Rider, still prefer the Aimpoint by far.  However, Im not so single minded as to say the Eotech is not a fully functional serious use sight. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]
There is ONE thing I kinda like about my Trijicon Reflex NSN with reference to the blue tint.

My home defense "nightmare" gun has a Surefire 500A with the 225lumen lamp installed.    In the middle of the night when you sight that Trijicon Reflex in unison with the 500A, you get the most impressive "ghost ring" that gives you a VERY clear and distinct target area.    I have yet to get a picture of this so you'll have to use your imagination.

The 500A paints everything bright white and then the screen of the Reflex colors a little bit of that area a blue tint and then leaping out of that blue tint is a bright orange dot.     It's quite an impressive effect, I should note that I have the polarizing filter installed and turned down quite a bit to avoid wash out.

The effect is pretty darned impressive and I find that in that one situation I kinda prefer the Trijicon Reflex, with the sight purposely darkened to avoid washout.   On the inside of a house white walls reflecting back some light can actually almost wash out even my Aimpoint Comp M, with the Trjicon Reflex there are two things going on to get the attention of your aiming eye.

I don't think the Trijicon is as outright versatile as the Aimpoint though.

One of these days I gotta get a decent picture of what it looks like with the Trijicon Reflex while lighting up a target during the dark.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top