Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2003 9:16:02 AM EDT
I finally found SWFA's site. Very nice btw! I'm looking at getting an Aimpoint, but was wondering if its worth getting the 2x version over the regular version? Which do you guys recommend and what mount will I need for a flat-top AR?

I've also been doing alot a searching on this site, particularly this section. There is a wealth of info here! Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I would skip the 2x Aimpoint.  It seems like a solution to a non-existenting problem to me.

I also would go with the ML2 unless you DO plan to use night vision at some point.  Most civilians do not, but it's your call.  You can save some money by getting the ML2 though....

As for mounts:  Two choices-GG&G, or ARMS.  Both companies make GOOD stuff.

I use the GG&G standard Aimpoint mount.  It will mount directly onto your flat-top.  It also has a compartment on the side for a spare battery for your Aimpoint(something I really, really like).  

Some people do like the throw-lever mounts from both companies.  Persoanlly speaking, I don't have any use for that.  The GG&G standard mount is pretty quick to get oof your AR-quick enough for me.  And some might tell you that repeatedly taking off your Aimpoint with the throw-lever mounts will wear down the edges on the flat-top itself.  I can't really say, because I don't use them.

I bought my set-up from SWFA.  They were great to deal with!!  I also hear very good things about MSTN.  I would stick to those two companies if buyng optics/mounts.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are pretty serious about buying am Aimpoint set-up soon, GG&G is running a special.  It is good until July 31st.

Aimpoint Comp M2 with Standard Aimpoint Ring:
GGG-1155 Regularly $499.95 Sales Special $440.00

Aimpoint Comp M2 with Cantilever Ring:
GGG-1154 Regularly $547.00 Sales Special $480.00

Both packages will cost $27 for shipping.

From SWFA, an Aimpont M2, plus GGG standard mount will cost you $502, plus shipping.

Thought you might like to know....

Monty
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
mcgrubbs,

Thanks for the info. What is GG&G's web address? Also, when you say cantilever, is that the throw lever mount? Does that special cover the ML2 also or just the M2?

BTW...I am in the military, but as a medic. So I'd still probably get the ML2 since I wouldn't be using it on duty and possibly with NVGs due to the fact I carry the M9.

Again, thank you for the info and the heads up on the sale.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
GG&G website:  www.gggaz.com

The specials are for M2 only.  I was wrong, GG&G does not make a throw-lever mount for the Aimpoint, only ARMS does.    

GG&G says that to properly acquire the red dot you need to have the Aimpoint higher than the integral rail on your rifle.  The cantilever mount gets it a half-inch higher to acquire the red dot, and places the optic itself farther foward on the gun.  

With their standard mount, you need a GG&G FIRE rail, or ARMS SWAN sleeve to see the red dot.

Gets tricky doesn't it??
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
What if I have a fold down front sight? Do I still need a higher mount?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, you shouldn't need a rail with the flip up/down sight.  

In theory, you need the irons if your optic goes down.  If the optic is running OK, your irons would in the down position.

One good thing about the rail is that once the irons are zeroed for your AR, it is much easier to zero the optic.  You simply adjust the dot until it is just above the front sight post.  I think this is called the field expedient method of zeroing.  Not extremely exact, but will definitely do fine.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally, I don't believe in folding rear or front sights, that is if the rifle is used in a defensive role.  If the optic goes down in a defensive scenario, you really won't have time to flip up your iron sights.  With the standard fixed sights, all you have to do is lower your head and there they are.  Also, in theory, the mechanism of flip-up sights could break, jam, malfunction and leave you with a useless sight system and no re4al way to aim if your optic is also down.  The event may be unlikely, but if your life depends on your rifle and what you choose to mount on it, I would prefer to have as little on it that could go wrong.  

However, if it is a target/plinker rifle, then the folding sights do look pretty cool.  Also, if you use an ACOG, magnified optics, or night vision of any kind, the rear sight will have to be a flip-up type as theose optics won't clear a fixed rear sight.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:24:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I do see knightone's point.  It is plausible that one might not have time to engage the flip-up sights.  I can see where he is coming from.  But, I have to wonder that if a true shooter were "plugged in", how much time it would really take to engage the irons??  Not much I bet.

But to each his own, I guess.  If a person is comfortable with the flip up/down irons, I say use them.

I always try to remember what Mr. Clint Smith once said, "Remeber, the fight won't be what you think it will be.  It will be what it is."  
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again guys. The AR I have came with the flip up sights, so for now thats what I'm stuck with. I didn't mean I'd necessarily use the Aimpoint without the sights up, just wondered if I still needed a higher mount for it if they were kept in the down position. But if I wanted to use them if the Aimpoint were to malfunction, and I then flipped them up, would I still be able to see through it without the higher mount? Sorry for all the questions again.

BTW...where can I find KAC brand stuff at?

One last question, is the "killflash" worth getting for the Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think time is an issue. It takes only a second to flip up the sight.  If it fails in mid exchange, rounds going out and the dot vanishes, your still in pretty good shape.  If your set up right to begin with, you still have your front sight, and the now dotless empty tube becomes a large ghost ring.
 I've fired both handguns and shotguns with a dot sight with no dot...  it's not difficult to find your center.

The killflash only worth it if people will be looking for you to shoot at you. :)

BTW...  SWFA is out backorderd on M2's at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Pat Rogers has stated that they are actually training shooters to use the Aimpoint as one big ghost ring itself.  You center it over your target and see what happens.

I don't have much use for the killflash myself.  If you are fighting an enemy of any skill, they will know pretty much where you are by the sound of your fire, or even muzzle blast.

www.knightsarmament.com  I think...their website has been down for a few days now.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top