Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 6:39:25 PM EDT
I have to face it----there's no way I can justify $300+ for a red dot sight.  Still, I would like to get an all around decent and affordable ($50 or so rigth now) for a red dot sight to get accustommed to the concept and use it on my 10/22 and 9mm handgun and maybe, just maybe, use it when to guys get together for that evil, para-militia game known as paintball.

So, where I'm going is here:  if the Aimpoint and Trijicon units are 90-100% of what one could need, where would BSA's 42mm red dot fall on the percentage scale?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#1]
For most range shooters... 70%, for an operator, 25% - better than nothing.  However, as the vast majority of us are range commandoes it will do just fine until you can save up for a used Aimpoint Comp M or ML... about $150-$200.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear Tasco ProPoint is pretty good, tough and reliable.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For most range shooters... 70%, ....
View Quote

OK, that's the detail I left out (but perhaps everyone figured out):  I'm just an average civilian looking to hone my shooting skills; I'm not an operator whose safety could be at risk if the unit fails.  I'm just looking to get a reference point as to the quality and operation of the different systems.

Thanks for the responses so far.  Anyone else care to throw out a number for reference sake.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I am in the same boat as you...I want a reddot sight on my AR attached to the carry handle.  I too am very curious about the BSA sights.  I want to put some flip up lens caps on it and have a good CQB set up on the cheap side...So basically are they any good?  Tasco ProPoint  what are they running price wise? Thanks for  your help...
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
15%?  Beats an AK iron sight, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if I'd use any of these for paintball as the ball can damage the optic.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I like good optics, and have been stung by inexpensive optic (Tasco PDP5) failure just once and learned my lesson.

Might I suggest you learn to use the iron sights more effectively if a good optic (any type) is out of financial reach. I dont know what the present sights are like on your paintball gun, but they may be upgradeable to a good adjustable peep sight.  A good receiver sight (peep sight) is not flashy but makes a god hunting sight for offhand use in most cases.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I know a few people who've used BSA dots on handguns. Most failed withing the first 50 rounds. :(
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#9]
BSA is about rock bottom as far as quality is concerned esspecially with red dots.

Try a JP Enterprise J-point (10%brighter dot than Optima) or even the cheaper a Used Tasco Optima 2000. These sights are pretty nice and under $200

I can say this (you will be better off with the aimpoint or iron sights than a BSA) what is wrong with iron sights?? I know they aren't perfect but outside of the premium price "combat" optics you won't find a better replacement  For cheap magnified optics I reccomend a Tasco Pronghorn 3-9 or 4power I've used them on a lot of guns and they can't be beat for less than $60-90 and cost about $25-$35.

[b]Paintball is totally PC (neon ping guns and polished crome parts- TV slots on Cable, Magazines etc.

Try Airsoft if you want an un-PC sport[/b]

remember with A NM front and rear sight on an A2 (20in Ar) about a $100 setup a Expert rifleman can put 3 shots in less than 1/2 an inch at 100yds (granted the NM sights don't work well in low light but this is an example of how accurate irons an be.

All you get with a dot is slightly faster aquisition over irons

The magnified optics give you added precision and better and more positive target ID.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top