Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/9/2003 10:45:21 PM EDT
www.impactguns.com/store/mil_dot_master.html

Anyone use this? Looks pretty slick, but i don't know if i can justify the price.

Do you have any tips/tricks for mil dot?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:00:55 AM EDT
[#1]
(1000 * Target Height in yards) / Target Height in mils = Range in yards

For example, if a human is two yards tall and he is 4 mils in height when viewed through the scope, the distance is (1000 * 2) / 4 = 500 yards.

The Mil-Dot Master is nice as it does the math for you, but you should know how to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:08:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the general idea of how things work.
I'm jsut trying to come up with a quick and simple way of doing the math.

MAybe i'll jsut have to burn it into my head. $30 seems a bit steep for a slide ruel that coudl be made for pennies.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:41:33 AM EDT
[#3]
you got it!

just make one yourself.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:52:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if the Mil-dot Master does much for figuring out the bullet drop, though.  That part I could not get a handle on by looking at it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't do anything for bullet drop; that is the input you provide for the second scale.  It will translate drop into MOA and mils for the range of your target, however.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
It is worth every penny...  I agree, you should know how to figure the distance out yourself, but this saves you a lot of time.  The "training manual" is full of great info as well.  

Makes it easy to create cheat sheets that you can stick under your Butler Creek Flip up cap.  I just get a pack of the Avery stickers, cut it to the size of the inside of my cap, and write my dope on there.  I have:
Distance -- in one hundred yard increments
Come-up values -- in MOA
Mil size -- of the game I am hunting-for all the distances

and

Wind Drift for a full value 10 mph wind at all the distances.  Made the kill on my antelope easy (about a 16" chest cavity by the way) at 366 yards without a master or a calculator.

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#7]
The Mil-Dot Master is like any other [b]good[/b] accessory: you'll forget the price after using it a couple of times.

I've had one for 2 years and it's been invaluable for helping me transform mil readings into ranges.  Besides, it's not caliber specific, so you can use one for all of your rifles.

I printed out the bullet-drop figures for .308 and 5.56 (specific to the respective rifles, of course) and taped them to the back of my M-D M.  Voila!  You're ready to dial it and dump it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got one to use in an upcoming sniper match.  It's a hellofa lot easier than walking around with a calculator.  Try the simulation at www.shooterready.com to see what I mean.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top