Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2003 2:18:11 PM EDT
I'd zero the 3x9 Leupld Vari-X III at 50yds, loosen the screws on the turrets to realign the numbers, tighten the screws, then the aim is off again!
I was able to duplicate this 3 or 4 times, finally ran out of ammo and gave up.  I later bought a bore sighter, stranger things (to me) now happened.  When using the bore sighter I rotate the turret to Up, the reticle moves down, rotate the turret to Right, the reticle moves left.  At the range the turrets' dials do work like normal.
Now I'm thoroughly confused
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I can't give you an answer as to why recentering your turrets causes POI to be off.

However, the way the boresighter is reversing your windage and elevation knobs is correct. I don't recall the exact reason why this occurs but it is correct.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
When you think about it, if you want to shift the point of aim to the right, the crosshairs will move to the left.  
The same goes for the elevation.  If you want the point of aim to go up, then the crosshairs need to go down.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the rifle very accurate to begin with?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys [:)] that makes a lot of sense, (just not to me at the time).  The rifle is a Remington 700 in .308, heavy barrel, shot from a bipod supported position, barely any wind.  I was able to put 3rds in 1 MOA at 100 yards BEFORE I realign the turrets.  I was shooting cheap ammo but it happens only after the dial realignment.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks guys [:)] that makes a lot of sense, (just not to me at the time).  The rifle is a Remington 700 in .308, heavy barrel, shot from a bipod supported position, barely any wind.  I was able to put 3rds in 1 MOA at 100 yards BEFORE I realign the turrets.  I was shooting cheap ammo but it happens only after the dial realignment.
View Quote

HA!!! That's too funny. I was doing the exact same thing myself today - zero'ing my Rem 700 w/bipod. Small world.

I'll be interested to see the answer to this problem myself. I did not reset the turrets after zero'ing it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay, as mentioned prior, the reticle will move in the opposite direction that you want the POI to move.  The easiest way to describe this is to exagerate everything.  If you want the POI (point of impact) to move upward, and lets say you have no adjustment in the scope (just for ease of explanation), you would need to shim under the rear base.  Lets say you lift it an inch...  Again, exagerated...  That scope would be pointing at the end of the barrel.  This would force you to lift the barrel upward to aim at the target through the scope.  Same effect with moving the reticle assembly...

As for loosening the screws on the turrets and retightening with a POI shift...  There is absolutely no way this could happen if the screws are completely loose.  After loosening all the screws (three on standard turrets, one on the M1), you should be able to free-spin that turret (or take it off).  There is no way that taking that off or spinning it could change anything...  Make sure all the screws are loose when you turn them.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions...

DFA
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top