Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/27/2003 4:18:35 AM EDT
Help ACOG Gurus!  I have ordered a AR-10 16" flattop.  I would really like to ACOG it, but my funds would limit me to a standard TA01B.  My question is, as I understand it, the reticle in the TA01B is standardized for a .308, but would the fact that my rifle sports a 16" bbl.  make the bullet drop marks totally off, or will I never notice the difference?  FWIW 80% of my shooting will be done out to 100 meters, 15% out to 200 meters, and 5% out to 400 meters.

As an aside what is up with TA01 prices? I see them currently priced at $630-$950, a pretty wide range in prices if you ask me. Also, this range comes from highly recommended AR-15.com sources (MTSN,SWFA,Sableco,etc.).  Is all of this due to the war?  And, would the military be using the TA01B?

Thanks a bunch,

Rob Hainan
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered possible eye relief issues with the .308 and a TA01B?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply Mr. Roberts.  To be honest, I am a little new to the ACOG world.  Eye relief issues?  As in, I might not be able to get my eye close enough to the scope?  Could this be a problem for me?

Anybody else out there with a TA01B on an AR-10?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think the 16" vs. 20" will cause to much of a problem on the BDC. My biggest concern would be is the TA10B set up for carry handle or flattop. If the TA01B is set up for carry handle mount it could cause some differance in the BDC if you mount it on a flattop.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the quick reply Mr. Roberts. To be honest, I am a little new to the ACOG world. Eye relief issues? As in, I might not be able to get my eye close enough to the scope? Could this be a problem for me?
View Quote

No need for formality, it is a pseduonym anyway.

I imagine you'll have no trouble getting your eye close enough to the scope. My thought is with an optimum eye relief of 1.4" and .308 recoil, you might end up having to place your eye closer to the scope than is healthy for you.

I haven't got to fire the AR10, so I don't know what the recoil is like on it; but if I were looking at a .308 I might consider an ACOG that gave me a little more room to work with some longer eye relief. However, it might not be an issue for you - just something to think about when making your purchase.

As for matching the bullet drop, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially at the ranges you are discussing. It probably won't match perfectly; but it will be close enough to work with.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Rob, an ELCAN/gen4 mount (which will mount directly on your flat top) also works well on an AR10, ~3 inches of eye relief, ~3.4X mag. You can also find these in TA01 price ranges. I think there area couple on the EE right now.

I agree that the TA01 eye relief is too short for a .308. I do like ACOGs better than an ELCAN, but they are good sights.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Rhainan,

Save up for TA11 later. You don't have enough eye relief as gentlemen above pointed out already. Try TA01B vs. TA11C/E at a local shop or something before ordering. I'm so sold on BAC and bright reticules that I'm not going back.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I gotcha about the eye relief.  I have a feeling that it would not be an issue.  The AR-10 is no lightweight.  I have a scoped CETME that really has much more bark than bite.  However, I sure would love to hear from any AR-10 TA01B users out there.  I can't plunk down $650 until I get at least some feedback from those up and running.

The TA11 is nice and more expensive.  I have a thing for the TA01 black/tritium reticle.  The BAC looks and sounds neat, but I seem to prefer crosshairs to donuts,triangles,and chevrons.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Another good option would be a 1.5 or 2X compact ACOG on your AR10. More eye relief, BAC, and your choice of reticles. The 3X compact ACOG is supposed to be a great optic (haven't actually used one of these), but only ~1.5 inches of eye relief.....
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top