Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/23/2003 6:20:56 PM EDT
I have this set up with a HoloSight on top of the scope (just set it up).  Is there a big disadvantage to having the red dot that high?  I figure it is the same height as a red dot on top a a carry handle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's comfortable, then go for it.

Steve.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I run a docter on my TA01NSN.  It is about as high as I would ever go, but with practice it is perfectly usable.  Just keep practicing bringing the rifle up untill you learn the motion and the feel of the stock against your chin.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, thats a really sweet idea...never thought of that, a red dot on a scope. Too cool!! :)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I run a docter on my TA01NSN.  It is about as high as I would ever go, but with practice it is perfectly usable.  Just keep practicing bringing the rifle up untill you learn the motion and the feel of the stock against your chin.
View Quote

So having it that high doesn't effect the accuracy of the red dot?  I had always heard you want to keep your sighting tool as close to the bore as you can.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#5]
It makes for a pretty funky trajectory, but since you won't be using it at long rang anyway, just zero it at 35 ot 50 and it will be within a man's chest out to 100 yards.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Now, how important is that to you?  I have no idea; it will depend on the type of shooting you do and how you plan to use the optic.

-Troy
View Quote

Well, I plan on using the HoloSight for three gun shoots and the Scope for any shots over 100 yards.  I think it should work fine for that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#8]
PhotoGuy,

If you use an EOTech Holosight, it will be too top heavy, but if you use the same set up as NewARGuy's SPR(the rifle in your picture), you will have better luck.  He has a Doctor sight on his ARMS track mount.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
PhotoGuy,

If you use an EOTech Holosight, it will be too top heavy, but if you use the same set up as NewARGuy's SPR(the rifle in your picture), you will have better luck.  He has a Doctor sight on his ARMS track mount.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip, but I'm kinda stuck with what I have right now.  Just spent $300 on the HoloSight and it's only a couple months old.  Maybe I'll go with a doctor sight at a later date.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
If it's for some game, it's probably OK.  If it's for a fighting rifle, you are giving your adversary 100% full value of your head to shoot at.  For some people on this board, that would not be a great loss, for others, it would be catastrophic!  The choice is yours.  

Me, I'm keeping my brain-housing-unit as close to the bore as physically possible!!  If you are a liberal, a Democrat, or from Kalifagistan, mount the optic 3 or 4 feet over the bore, PLEASE!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If it's for some game, it's probably OK.  If it's for a fighting rifle, you are giving your adversary 100% full value of your head to shoot at.  For some people on this board, that would not be a great loss, for others, it would be catastrophic!  The choice is yours.  

Me, I'm keeping my brain-housing-unit as close to the bore as physically possible!!  If you are a liberal, a Democrat, or from Kalifagistan, mount the optic 3 or 4 feet over the bore, PLEASE!!
View Quote

Whatever!  B^|
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top