Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 4:40:47 PM EDT
I have a RRA 24" SS upper I need to put glass on. I was thinking of an Armalite one piece scope mount and I want a scope with an illuminated reticle and something high power..i.e. 6x24, 8x32. I really don't want to spend over 400 quibs. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i just got a RRA 24" varminter, and have a Sightron 6-24x42 on it.  i have the EOP receiver though.
[img]http://glocktalk.com/attachment.php?s=bb4016e26c133121ce37f5758b7fdccd&postid=1686484[/img]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:39:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The Armalite scope mount is okay but for high eye relief scopes like you are likely to find on a 20x plus scope you might just be pushing it's limits.

I wound up putting a GG&G GS1 rail on my Fulton varminter along with ARMS #22 Medium QR rings.  That's not cheap, however!  In any case you might want to examine an extended rail and rings on an AR-15 with high power / eye relief scopes.

That said I'd say forget the illuminated reticle and go with a Weaver Grand Slam varmint reticle scope  ([url=http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/weaver/index.html] see SWFA[/url]).  It's in your price range although the mounting will push you over $400.  In any case optics are [b]NOT[/b] a place to compromise, IMHO!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got the Grand Slam 6x20, and I'm extremely happy with it.    

I don't have too much experience with good scopes, and this is by far the best piece of glass I own.  I've compared it as best I can to an Elite 4200 that someone has at the range where I shoot, and one or two Leupolds.  

The glass in the Grand Slam is crystal clear, and so far, I've never had a problem with mirage, even on hot days...although my range has a covered firing line.  

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of these.  Right now, the scope is on my .22-250, which coincidence or not, is my most accurate rifle.  I've thought about moving it to one of the ARs, but always end up leaving it where it is.  

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Why no illuminated reticle?? Is the Grand Slam a rugged scope?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why no illuminated reticle?? Is the Grand Slam a rugged scope?
View Quote

I've never had the need for an illuminated reticle (well, my ACOG and ELCAN aside [;)]).  It seems that I see lots of them for sale in the Equip Ex, too.  Just seems like something else to go wrong when all your shooting will probably never require it.  If, OTOH, your do have a pressing need for illumination then by all means pick it up.  But as a 'hey, that looks cool' feature you're not all that well served for the money you spend.  As usual YMMV.

Grand Slams are fully sealed, waterproof, etc.  They've as rugged as any other commercial scope in their price range I guess.  Haven't heard too many complaints, either.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#7]
What about a tasco varmint/tactical in 6-24 or 10-40??? Anybody have any experience or comments?
I was under the assumption that an illuminated reticle can be turned on and off. There is a possibility I would be doing some shooting at dusk...that's why I wanted it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Often inexpensive riflescopes are either blurry (especially at top magnification), the reticle breaks, or the windage or elevation adjustments don't work right.  I don't mean to sound like an optics snob, but if you can't afford a 2-7 Leupold VX-1 ($179) then save up until you can. This is an entrylevel scope that will last for as long as you want it to and has a lifetime guarantee (with a company that will be around next year).  

If you must buy a 'throwaway' scope get a fixed power (less to go wrong) and check it over good in the store.  Then don't be surprised in 6 months or a year when it dies. Sure you can send it back, but it will still be a throwaway scope.

As for magnification there is little need for more than 10x on a 223, 14x MAX in my humble opinion.  As allways other will disagree.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If Groundhogs/monkeypoxdogs are your game, I'd go with the higher magnification.  It's always nice to really see where you hit....  Not just what you hit.  But that's me.  Human size targets or bigger game a lower power is fine, if not prefered.  Sure a 10x will do fine for varmints, but a higher power scope is more versatile.  I use an Elite 4200 6-24x on my 22-250 and 25-06.  One is a Bushnell, one a B&L. One has 1/4MOA adjustments, the other 1/8.  I like them both.  They are slightly lower in quality than a Nikon monarch 6.5-20x(another brand I REALLY LIKE!) Both Elites have been going strong for a couple years now, as well as the Nikon.  I take them afield for long shoots in dusty hay fields in the hot summer here in OH...  Many 300 yard Headshots later, They are proving themselves nice little scopes.  Photos of the carnage, anyone?  I prefer to refer to my groundhog work as dental exams.  "oh look there's one of his teeth, there's another..."

Of course I'll never argue against Leupolds.  The're so great, blah blah blah.  I'm just jeaolous or something.  I must have scope envy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Watersnipe, I agree with you, if fact I have a 6-24x Burris Signature on my 220 Swift.  But the original question was for application on a RRA in 223, so I figure he shooting under 300 yards except for rare occasions, thus my suggestion of 14x max.

I would never slam the Nikon UUC (Monarch) scopes, nice glass indeed!  And I would like to have a 4-12 Bushnell Elite for my next project(an AR15 based budget 223 light varmint rifle) as well.  Good values for sure.

Keep in ming he is putting it on a RRA bull barrel AR15, not a bargain basement second-hand home-gunsmithed bolt rifle.  The RRA varmint rig has got to be a thousand dollar rig, so why not urge him to go first class on optics.

For a varmint rig my sugestion of a Loopy 2-7 was poor,  A varmit only rig deserves a higher power upper end.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't speak for the ruggedness of the Grand Slam, but it seems to weather the trip from my trunk to the firing line without too much trouble [:D].  FWIW, I got that scope upon the recommendation of the folks at SWFA...I was looking at the Elites, and was even prepared to shell out the $$ for a Loopy, but the guy suggested the Grand Slam as an alternative to higher priced scopes, with no sacrifice in quality.  And, the GS does not have an illuminated reticle...when it's too dark to shoot, I go home lol.  

I saw a Burris Black Diamond 6x24 today...very nice scope, but I couldn't really see any difference between that and the Grand Slam, other than the extra x4 power.  Plus, that's a honker...at least a 50mm objective by the looks of it.

If you can, look through as much glass at the range as possible...you'll see something you like sooner or later.  

55Kingpin, if you're in No. VA somewhere, you're more than welcome to take a look at my Grand Slam; I could meet you at the NRA some night after work.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...the original question was for application on a RRA in 223, so I figure he shooting under 300 yards except for rare occasions, thus my suggestion of 14x max.

Keep in ming he is putting it on a RRA bull barrel AR15, not a bargain basement second-hand home-gunsmithed bolt rifle.  The RRA varmint rig has got to be a thousand dollar rig, so why not urge him to go first class on optics.

... A varmit only rig deserves a higher power upper end.
View Quote

I would agree - I struggled with choice of glass on my Bushmaster Varminter and finally went with the Leupold M1 LR Tact 4.5x14 50mm on an Armalite one piece mount, even though I didn't want to spend that much originally.  Quite pleased with the scope so far.
[img]http://www.fototime.com/B373C8ADC635CF0/standard.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top