Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 8:19:17 AM EDT
Hello, been lurking here for some time as I am in the market for my first AR.  I'm looking at the RRA Tactical Entry- flattop with detachable carry handle.  I'd like to keep usable BUIS, but also want to add a scope for range work.  This rifle will be used mostly for paper at 100 yds and some 3-gun matches.  I'd like the scope mount to be detachable, because I'd like to alternate between a scope and a red-dot.  Is the A-4 type carry handle the right height for mounting rings?  I am assuming the top of the handle has a Weaver-type base that will take rings.  Or will it be necessary to remove the handle and buy a spacer and something like the Armalite scope mount?  If rings mounted to the carry handle will work, would they need to be sight-thru rings, or would sight-thrus make the scope too high?   Any help and advice will be appreciated.  Nimbus
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Nimbus,

Ditch the RRA tactical handle, it is not worth a penny.  you are better off getting the standard detachable carrying handle and cut it to make it into a rear sight and you can mount your red dot in front of it using a proper mounting solution.  as far as mounting a scope, the tactical handle will not work either, so your best choice is to mount the scope using a Armalite scope mount per your post or an ARMS #35 throw lever track mount with high track mount rings.

Back to the reddot, and scope, but using a red dot and a cut carrying handle, you can effectively remove it when you want to mount your scope. the RRA tactical handle is only build with Aimpoint and its very undesirable wide ring in mind, so your choice there is very limited.  If you can switch to a cut carrying handle, your option for red dot and mounts are endless, and besides you can probably save some cash by not ordering a handle at all and use the cash and buy a flip up rear sight, this way, you don't need to remove the rear sight to switch between your red dot or scope.

BTW, no matter what mount you use, there will be a zero lost after you remount the scope or the red dot repeatedly.  it is best to zero your weapon from time to time to ensure accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, Chen Lee and C4, for your replies.  I realize this is similar to Hero's thread, and I thank you for your patience.  I had a chance to handle a flattop today- just so happens that a scope mounted directly to the receiver in low rings is the correct height for me.  I like the idea of using an ARMS 38 extender with rear sight-I foresee being able to mount either the scope or the red dot, each on its own quick-release platform.  Would using these fixtures on top of the extender raise the optics too high in my case?  Thanks, Nimbus
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top