Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2003 1:15:04 PM EDT
Are the First Samco/Fobus M33 or M44 handguards solid enough when mounted for optics mounting?
Want to mount Kobra lower than carry handle, but not sure the handguard would be the way to go as it doesn't seem solid enough for optics.

I really dont't wanna shell out the $ for the HG's and be disappointed that the scope is moving around.

Any experienced input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Some people here have mounted optics to the Fobus handguards. In my opinion they are not solid enough. If you dont want to shell out several hundred $'s for the KAC or ARMS, check out the FIRSH. It's about  $100 and I think it's solid enough for your Kobra (if your not the kind of person who beats the crap out of a weapon). You can also get one of those carry handle mounts that puts the optic over the handguards. There are options that are better than the Fobus, and still won't hurt you in the wallet.

Steve.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
No the M33/44's are not stable enough to mount optics unless your requirements are for minute of car.

I don't think any of the sub-$250(Fobus/FIRSH/BMAS) rail systems are stable enough for optics.But then again my opinion is that there must be NO MOVEMENT.

For this reason I will only mount on the receiver or an extension thereof.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
No way. Not on anything other than a range gun that gets pampered. Plastic rails plus absolutely zero locking mechanisms make M33/M44 one of the worst options available for mounting optics in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with all three gentlemen above, the M33 handguard is good for laser, light and froward grip.  as far as optic is concern, it is not up to sniff.  You will have a better chance with the KAC RAS, but the only way to mount a forward optic is to use either a RAS2, FF RAS, SIR series, or any free float rail system handguards.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, I'll ask the dumb question, because I really don't know.  How much movement could there possibly be in your handguards?  I don't get how a red dot used for relfex shooting would be unstable on the fobus handguards.  I had a set, mounted a Trijicon M4 model NSN Reflex on it and was plinking at 10 yards without a problem.

Now if you were talking about a precision scope in which you were trying to get quarter size groups, I can see your point, as it won't be rock solid.  But try and try and try and I can not get my handguards to move at all when they are attached.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
That was a typo, I meant 100 yards...  blowing plastic milk jugs all over the place at that distance.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I've no doubt this is possible. My point is that theres no way that it could ever last. The plastic isnt sturdy enough to hold the mount very well and with extended use, the handgaurds will wobble more and more. any slight movement of the optic will throw your shot off more and more the longer the range is.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I hear ya, I was not implying it was as good of an option, or even long term... as I agree plastic can warp and wear with time.  I was just relaying my experience running a few hundred rounfs through mine using a Trijicon on a set of M33 handguards...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top