Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2003 10:27:56 AM EDT
i recently purchased a Bush 24in fluted flat top, mated to my Bush DCM lower with 4lb trigger, NO 3lb buttstock weight. mounted a Nikon scope.  i zeroed the scope at 25Meters. 5 shots thru the bullseye. all shots overlapping. i then placed my target at 100Meters.. 5 shots 6inches Above the bullseye.  shooting Black Hills 55gr hollowpoints.

Had to re-Zero my scope at a 100meters.

My only conclusion: 24inch barrel will Increase Velocity of bullet. Hence, higher/longer bullet arc?

i am a bit surprise, an extra 4 inches of barrel will cause that much difference of POI at 100meters.

all info appreciated..thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#1]
A longer barrel will increase the velocity, resulting in a flatter trajectory, not a higher one.

I assume you're comparing a 24" flattop to a 20" A2.  In that case you also have to consider the height-over-bore of your sight plane.  

Depending on optic setup, your scope is probably sitting lower than your A2 sights.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
ok, thanks for the info. i just thought zeroing a scope is teh same principal as Iron sites. 25m/100meters.

Longer barrel, increased velocity= Flatter trajectory?

i am hypothesizing... had my target been at..lets say..130M, the bullet would've landed on teh bullseye. hence, higher arc? regardless of velocity..  bullets from 16/20/24in barrel would drop at the same speed. but with higher velocity, it would drop at a farther distance.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My only conclusion: 24inch barrel will Increase Velocity of bullet. Hence, higher/longer bullet arc?

i am a bit surprise, an extra 4 inches of barrel will cause that much difference of POI at 100meters.

all info appreciated..thanks in advance.
View Quote

It has nothing to do with the extra 4 inches.

Zero any AR at 25yards and you'll be 5-6" high at 100y.  It has to to with height over bore of the optic.

Lots of thing influenct your trajectory - your load (BC, mass, & MV), environmental conditions, and most importantly the relationship between the sights and bore.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
This chart shows the difference that HOB of your optic will have on your external ballistics.  This info is based upon the velocity, weight and ballistic coefficient of the bullet you were using.  Notice the different trajectories at 100yds and you'll see how you got your results.  

[url]www.calvert1.com/guns/25ydzero.htm[/url]

Check your scope and measure how far over the bore your optic is mounted.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top