Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 2:15:56 PM EDT
I wanted some first hand info on the PEQ-5. Is it worth the expense? Does it work as well as its IR-only cousin, the PEQ-2A?

Any comments are appreciated.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I wanted some first hand info on the PEQ-5. Is it worth the expense? Does it work as well as its IR-only cousin, the PEQ-2A?

Any comments are appreciated.

Ed
View Quote

From [url]http://www.forcerecon.com/strongmenarmed3.htm[/url]
The AN/PEQ-2 Infrared Target Pointer/Illuminator/Aiming Laser has a straight beam of IR energy for aiming, and an adjustable focus IR beam for illuminating. Both sources can be used at the same time. It is powered by 2 "AA" batteries that give it continuous power for 10 hours. The PEQ-2 weighs 7.5 ounces, is 6.4" long, 2.8" wide, and 1.2" high. It is waterproof to 66’.

The illuminator is good to 600 meters. The pointer on high power has a range of 5000 meters, and 1000 meters on low power.

It is mounted on the RAS by means of a rail grabber, and while it may be mounted anyplace the preferred mounting is at 12 o’ clock.

The AN/PAC-4C is an IR aiming light, and while it is part of the kit, it has been replaced by the more capable PEQ-2.

The AN/PEQ-5 is a visible laser. It is difficult to imagine what this particular item is actually for (I am unconvinced of the tactical viability of a visible laser) and consequently is never used.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]
PEQ-5 is Law Enforcement Only.  Are you an LEO?

Get an OTAL its better anyway and cheaper too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have it , what do you want to know ?
PAQ5-CVL & PEQ2A are as apple and oranges , completely different devices for completely different uses.
PP out
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have lots of experience with the PEQ-2A.

What I am wondering is whether the CVL is an appropriate adjunct sight for close-in use in urban environments.  At work we have M-68s and PEQ-2As on our M-4 Carbines.  Most of us also have some sort of surefire white light as well.  

Experience shows that white light plus M-68s work best in the types of urban operations we have trained for. Hence the question of whether the CVL is a useful adjunct.  I am not worried about being sneaky, because it is obvious when we're in the neighborhood.  What I want to do is improve my hit probability when shooting reflex fire from odd positions.

PincoPella: What do you think of your PEQ-5?  Do you recommend it for the situation described above?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#5]
EdMTV,

The only right tasks I see for a visible laser aimer , as the CVL or whatever other model , is when shooting wearing gas mask and in a dissuasive situation , sincerely I do not any advantage in the situation you described.

PP out
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top