Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2003 1:51:07 PM EDT
I was out in the desert with my 552 shooting in the bright sunlight. It seemed like the sight was quite dim even while turned up all the way. Has anyone experienced this? Just wondering if this is normal? On another note, my AR with this sight is a riot while shooting at fast moving targets.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I used mine for the first time outside a couple of weeks ago. I turned it on and, at first, I thought the batteries had somehow died because I couldn't see the reticule. I ended up cranking it all the way up to be able to see it.

Come on SMG Lee, you are the EO Tech man. I'm just waiting for you to make a post. [:D] Plus, I'm pretty sure you've had plenty of experience shooting it arid environments.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in Las Vegas and there is no shortage of extemely bright sunlight here and with it turned up to close to the brightest setting it seem clear and good to me. But I do have it turned up quite high however.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I was out sunday, which just happened to be a cloudless scorcher here in Southern Arizona, shooting this.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p76a0092fd10d6e2dbd647b8602959ce0/fbe9af60.jpg[/img]

Brand new batteries, saw the reticle just fine.
Still not a big fan of Eotechs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
No matter how bright it is I usually have to turn my 552 down 2 or 3 times,to get the best pic.

Wasnt there some post on Assault web about some Ranger in Afghanistan who claimed the Aimpoints werent bright enough on sunny,snowy mountains.

But the Eotechs performed better in those conditions.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
the thread by ranger can also be found in lightfighter.com's forum
about weapon system under thread name EOTECH something like that...

he uses 551...
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I too feel the reticle under bright California sun light is fine.  remember, the reticle will not look super bright, at its highest setting, under bright light, it will be a bit dim, but that is not a big deal.  the EOTech has the highest setting of all red dot optic, if you get a wash out with the EOTech, the you will get a wash out with others.  

Lumpy, the Aimpoint is a fine optic, i got three of them, but I just think EOTech is a bit better choice for CQB.  and that is about most of all my shooting are done at.  But for a M4 carbine, my ultimate choice is a ACOG TA31 or TA31a.  as much as I like my EOTech, the TA31 is far superior to anything I have tried so far.  But that is another story.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top