Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2003 9:34:11 AM EDT
Has anybody seen the new prices at Riflescopes? They went through the roof. They added $200-300 to every Trijicon ACOG.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#1]
It is probably what the industry calls the minimum advertised price or MAP.  This is to ensure the dealer aren't lowballing the product so low that there is no profit in it, big shops like SWFA can afford to do so, but smaller shop can go out of business because of it. pretty soon the market is full of dealers trying to make 10 dollars on a 800 dollars scope and nobody will want to carry the line and sell them. it is just too little return for too much effort. It is just a way for the manufacture to protect their market. Lots of manufacture enforce the MAP strictly.  EOTech, Aimpoint, Nightforce, FN and HK etc. etc.... looks like Trijicon is catch on too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I noticed today also as I was just getting ready to buy one. They just lost my business. Maybe both of them. I imagine they will have lost alot of biz from civilians. My tax dollars will no doubt fall right into their pockets.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
From the other thread on this subject:

Quoted:

A reality of manufacturing is that as volume goes up then cost goes down not the opposite.

View Quote

That's not always true.

We are a defense related manufacturer, and our business is up over 60% this year.  We are scrambling with pages of Gov't rated orders that HAVE to be built first.

Consequently, we are paying a LOT of premium expedites to get materials in, we are paying more to folks that have the materials in stock, rather than waiting for a lower cost vendor, we're paying overtime, added $500,000 in capital improvements, and pay a lot of expedited shipping to make up for late deliveries.

Cost don't necessarily go down with increased volume.  Mr. Sony himself when he was starting out quoted a big NYC department store an INCREASED price for a higher volume of transistor radios.  They were flabbergasted, and proclaimed your statement.  Mr Sony countered with the fact that he would have to build a new factory, buy new machinery and hire and train new people to do the volume they required.  The Department store acknowledged this, and paid the higher price.

Now one big benefit is after you hit your break even point, your G&A and overhead become additional profit.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top