Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 4:11:57 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a decent spotting scope that I can attach to a really good camera tripod I have?  Can't see where I'm hitting until the range goes cold and I walk out an retrieve my target.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Nikon spoting scope that uses a standard thread tripod adaptor. I think I paid about $450 for the scope and eyepiece. You can get a decent 'range only' scope for as little as $100, but for competition you get what you pay for and the Nikon is one of the recommended low end scopes. You can pay $1,000 or more for a top of the line scope.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been using this scope and it works ok, main problem I have is you have to refocus when you increase or decrease the magnification.

You can spot .223 hits pretty easy at 200 but not as well at 300 yards.

But for $90 dollars it's nice and it's small because of the folded optics.

I got it at a local store, but here is a link to it online.

http://www.nightvisionweb.com/spotting_scopes.htm

I also purchased one of those bsa spotting scopes at bigfive as I was broke, but ended up giving it to a neighbor kid as it was that bad.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the same boat. I looking for a spotting scope also. The last time I was at the range one of the guys had a Bausch & Lomb Discoverer 60mm Rubberized Spotting Scope, 15-60x Zoom. He said it he bought it because he had heard good things about it. Also he said using it he could see .223 holes at 200 yards. We were at a 100 yard range so I couldn't try it at 200 but it worked fine at 100.
Here is where he bought it. [url]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___213145___BADJ___REG___CatID=1032___SID=F5B5787B820[/url]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#4]
ncc1701,

Were you able to mount that scope to a camera tripod?  I see that it comes with a windshield mount, but there is no mention of a threaded adapter.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Bushnell Spacemaster 15x45.  You can also buy up to a 60x eyepiece for it.  For the most part, 20x is all you need.  Look for one on Ebay.  Bushnell makes a window mount that is very handy.  I don't shoot to 300 yards often, but I think 45x will still do the trick for you.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks ncc1701 that was the info I was looking for.  What about using your existing camera tripod?  Everyone (posted question in many places) keeps ignoring this point.  Can you use a standart camera tripod.

TIA
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Lool at the stands used for spotting scopes and understand that the tripod will take up too much ground, the legs will snag and the scope will get knocked over.  The single post stand used by shooters is much better.  I use a Bushnell on a Champions Choice stand with a 30x eyepiece (get a 20 or zoom).  Take my word for it, using a camera tripod does not work on the range.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top