Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2003 1:29:39 PM EDT
I am building up an AR15 with reduced weight in mind.  The 20" HBAR' seems like a stone club after a long walk.  I plan to use a CAV-15 (synthetic) lower, flat top upper, and a fluted 20" crowned (.223 Rem) barrel (no brake) from Young Mfg.  No back up iron sights as this is not a combat rifle!

I want good accuracy out to 200 plus yards for use on varmints.  I am thinking a compact conventional scope.  Something allong the lines of fixed 4x or 1.5-6x variable from Leupold, Nikon, Burris, or similar.

What do you think would be good for this unusual application?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
A variable would be better in this sort of "unknown" distance encounter.

I really like the little VariXIII 1.75-6 Leupold.

I have a Pentax Lightseeker X/V 0-4 power scope on my Marlin 444P lever action.

Exceptional glass, this being a hunting rifle I had no need for target turrets etc....

If you get one of the Leupold 1.75-6's you can get it from Premier Reticles with whatever reticle you desire from their 9 or so choices.

Ed
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I certainly agree with the scope recommendations he gave above.  But also, let me suggest you mount the scope such that it is at about the same height above the bore as iron sights would be.  

With my flattop, I used a GG&G rail.  I put grease on the flattop rail and inside the GG&G, and gently tapped it on with a leather mallet.  Then I tightened the screws with some service removable locktite.  Next, I used Weaver high rings, and it is just right.  My stock is a regular A2, and I have to move the scope forward some to get proper eye relief.  But with your Cav stock, you would probably not have to go as far forward.  This is just one way, not the only way to get the height correct.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Shivan & Free-man, your comments are appreciated, this project is coming along slowly (due to finances), but this advice helps!

I think a lightweight (I'm shooting for 6.5 lbs with scope) semi-auto 223 with a crisp 1.5 to 6x scope would be right fine for those couple mile walks in coyote land.  Starting out as an AR15 means I will be comfortable with it right away.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3499[/img]

That is my Pentax in the lower right corner. 0-4 power.

Leupold makes one similar in 1.5-4x20mm IIRC, I think SWFA had some on clearance in [url]www.samplelist.com[/url].

HTH.....
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The photo above reminded me, the Armalite mount is excellent, too.  I have that on another rifle.  It positions the scope above the bore at the height I recommeded, and foreward enough for most scopes.  It is available in 1" and 30mm sizes.  And being one piece, very KISS.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Have not nailed down exactly what I want yet, thanks for the ideas.  Want it sharp and light!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top