Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/18/2003 1:25:43 PM EDT
I've been fortunate enough to acquire a Leupold LR M3 scope.  I have it mounted on a Bushmaster Varminter using ARMS #21 rings on a #35.  This is my first experience with a variable power scope and to be honest, I'm in over my head.  Are there any general rules about what power to use at what range?  I know everyone is different but I at least want to be in the ballpark.  Also, I have boresighted it and I've got it tuned at 25 yards.  What is the proper distance to sight this scope.  I plan on shooting between 100 and 200 yard distances.  Any help, to straighten me out, would be appreciated.
Thanks...Tim  
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sight it in at 100 yards at least, longer is better because you can judge if the windage is off a bit better at that range.  I leave the scope at 3.5X and just crank up the windage to whatever I think is appropriate when I get ready to make a shot.  That is usually full power unless its at night and then I try to keep 7-8mm exit pupil for low light viewing.

For example at dusk 6X will give me just under a 7mm exit pupil. 5X gives a 8mm exit pupil.  If its kind of dark but not quite dusk I just zoom until I notice the piture get dark and back off.  Also just judge how fast the target can move and be sure to keep the whole target in the scopes field of view while tracking a moving target.  You can zoom in tighter on a slower moving animal at a given range.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks DevL and Troy.  All info is very helpful.  By the way I do have the Mil-dot and will sight at highest power.

Thanks again!
Tim
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you have a Mil-Dot reticle, remember that it is only calibrated when at MAX magnification!
-Troy
View Quote

Un-less ya happen to get one of [b]Premier Recticles[/b], Leupolds w/ the new Gen II mil-dot scopes, which have the dots in the first plane and adjust for the power your at..... very nice recticles, IMO.

Mike

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
T-blaster,

I just wanted to say, "Nice rig".

Dave S
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top