Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 7:32:27 PM EDT
Greetings,

How does the military deal with the fact that the M68 CCO/Aimpoint's reticle can be seen from in front of the muzzle? I know that M68 can be seen from the front with night vision goggles.

Isn't this a major problem for the military?

Do they just close the front lens cap and use the M68 like an occluded eye gunsight?

How does aiming with the M68 front lens cap closed effect accuracy?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
At night, when this would be an issue, they more than likely simply switch over to the IR laser.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The IR laser IS WAY easier to see than the M68 (Comp M not M2 is what they use) during the night using the NV seting on the M68 and the enemy using NV goggles.  The TA01NSN has a tritium front sight post and casts a bright glow on the user if you look at it with NODs so I doubt they are too concerned with the enemy seeing them anyway.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Operators can use a Tennebraex to filter the Comp M red dot from an enemy using unaided vision  at night. The 'true' military laser uses a super high frequency pulse-type beam that really cannot be detected by night vision equipment. In the event that the enemy had laser viewing equipment that was capable of 'seeing' one of our lasers he would 1) have to know the exact frequency of that laser, and 2) have to know exactly where it was coming from because its pulse is of such a very short duration!

PFCs like us are not allowed to own such lasers, besides, they can put your eye out!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#4]
They deal with it by pulling the trigger. If you see it, it probably aimed at you and then your dead.
GG
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Operators can use a Tennebraex to filter the Comp M red dot from an enemy using unaided vision  at night. The 'true' military laser uses a super high frequency pulse-type beam that really cannot be detected by night vision equipment. In the event that the enemy had laser viewing equipment that was capable of 'seeing' one of our lasers he would 1) have to know the exact frequency of that laser, and 2) have to know exactly where it was coming from because its pulse is of such a very short duration!

PFCs like us are not allowed to own such lasers, besides, they can put your eye out!
View Quote

I have NO IDEA what you are talking about.  The IR lasers I have seen in person and even on CNN or Fox News you can see the laser with NODs quite easily.  Just like a light saber.  Matched pulse frequency laser?  What the hell?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The 'true' military laser uses a super high frequency pulse-type beam that really cannot be detected by night vision equipment.
View Quote

Ummmm... wouldn't that make the whole thing sort of pointless? Seems that actually "seeing" a target designation would be rather important...

The pointless pointer... get it? Man I crack myself up!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#7]
You can always just close the front lens cap, and shoot with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Kill Flash perhaps?

[img]http://us.st3.yimg.com/store5.yimg.com/I/botach_1738_117529595[/img]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
"The 'true' military laser uses a super high frequency pulse-type beam that really cannot be detected by night vision equipment. In the event that the enemy had laser viewing equipment that was capable of 'seeing' one of our lasers he would 1) have to know the exact frequency of that laser, and 2) have to know exactly where it was coming from because its pulse is of such a very short duration!"

[b]That is absolute bull shit.

IR lasers are far easier to detect than a dot in an aimpoint switched to IR[/b]

Like Gun Guru said-- you pull the trigger and you don't have to worry about it.

The kill flash would help but I wouldn't want to use one at night as it limits light coming into the sight.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, well..........

Hell, when I got out, we still had A1s, and besides; they don't let Gun Bunnies play with the hi-tech shit, anyway. I guess they're afraid we'll break it...
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"The 'true' military laser uses a super high frequency pulse-type beam that really cannot be detected by night vision equipment. In the event that the enemy had laser viewing equipment that was capable of 'seeing' one of our lasers he would 1) have to know the exact frequency of that laser, and 2) have to know exactly where it was coming from because its pulse is of such a very short duration!"

The kill flash would help but I wouldn't want to use one at night as it limits light coming into the sight.
View Quote

Simmer down now Green 0!!  "Maybe" the nice fella was just describing the laser designator for laser guided munitions!?

The PEQ-2 is only visible by NVG's (Cats and DOGS & other critters) and one would be a silly statisic if one were to run around with it ALWAYS ON.  

As far as the kill-flash goes, close the front lens cover and use both eyes (designed this way) like an occluded sight (kudos CINCINNATUS)  This sight wasn't made to close one eye for, you are just limiting your field of view by doing so.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Simmer down now Green 0!!  "Maybe" the nice fella was just describing the laser designator for laser guided munitions!?

The PEQ-2 is only visible by NVG's (Cats and DOGS & other critters) and one would be a silly statisic if one were to run around with it ALWAYS ON.  
View Quote

No actually this guy is a troll and is full of shit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Hummm, sort of hard to get a PEQ and a MULE mixed up... Unless he typed "PAQ" instead of PEQ in Google? Maybe just too many Tom Clancy novels?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Aimpoint suggest close the cap, turn on the unit to NV mode and then open the lens cap. to the same thing to turn it off.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

No actually this guy is a troll and is full of shit.
View Quote

I stand corrected for taking pity on the poorly lit...  Don't much care for Trolls...Especially the ones full of shit! Thanks for the enlightenment DEVL.

Speaking of Tom Clancy, I wish that guy would write another book similar to "Red Storm Rising" with current events taken into some fictional consideration...  Then again I s'pose he is very much retired...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Looking at our M4's and M68's right now we have a killflash filter installed and our lesson plans specifically outline the possibilities of someone else seeing the glare/reflection of the red-dot.  How does our method mitigate the threat?  Learn to be aware of the problem and keep the sight off at night unless in a situation its use appears imminent.  Keeping the front cover closed is a great idear and one which slipped my mind!
As for PEQ-2's and PAQ-4's, if you've got a NV device, I don't care if it's GEN1 or GEN100, turn on one of those lasers and by God, you'll see it!  You have to weigh the benefits of hitting your target vice just making a bunch of noise...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top