Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2003 3:22:37 PM EDT
 Howdy,  I'm just now thinking about adding optics to my AR, and I was thinking about something small and preferably inexpensive, to screw into the carry handle.  I've seen a few small tubes perched on rifles here and there, but I've no idea what make or model.  I'm looking for light magnification, non-illuminated, and if it's an old german-style 3-bar reticle that much the better (though I don't think that's realistic).  Anyone have ideas for me?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Well if you must, look for the Colt branded 3x scopes.  They show up now and again here at EE, it has a heavy duplex reticle for short range work, there are newer models that have lit reticles too.  
I got one years ago and then graduated to ACOGs on flat tops.  Thought I'd keep it because it's a Colt, but there's no collection value in it so I sold it [brick]
Compared to the ACOG and newer scopes, the Colt/Realist is old technology.  I just looked through an Armalite 2.75x scope, also made by Realist, the sight picture is yellow, probably because it's so damn old (almost 30 years old)
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 2:30:31 AM EDT
[#2]
If a more traditional designed scope will work for you try the bushnell elite 3200, Leupold vx I or II, burris fullfield, or lastly and certainly not least anything IOR makes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#3]
its not "small" but i have a simmons Pro50 on top of my 22-250 and it collects ambient light like a champ!!  [url]http://store3.yimg.com/I/scopesforless_1733_3325871[/url]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Specialized reticles - contact Premier Reticle of Virginia.

Inexpensive scopes -  you can probably get a cheap scope for about $30 plus shipping plus a lot of praying that the scope will be acceptable.

Scope that you will have for years and not dump the next year - consider one of the compact variable scopes by a NAME manufacturer that will be in business next year.  Example, a Leupold 2x7 compact.  Or a Burris.  Understand that a scope with good coated optics like 4BAC and a low power will achieve two results:  light gathering in low light and present you with a wider field of view than a high fixed power scope.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top