Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2003 9:05:06 AM EDT
Well...I've finally saved up enough for an ACOG. (Managed to hide savings from the wife!)

I've decided on a TA11 for my Bushy, but still need to decide between a donut or triangle dot.

At first I figured that the donut was the best of both worlds (speed vs precision) but after looking through one, I'm not how useable the center of the donut is for precision shooting.

Would using the tip of the triangle be better ? If you zero on the tip of the triangle then, does that throw the BDC scale off ??

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Ed
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
TexasEd, I recently purchased the TA11 with the dounut. I was also concerned how accurate I would be a longer ranges. I have been amazed at how good it is! I was able to shoot 5/8" groups at 200yds. That's the same groups I shoot at 100. At 300yds, I can consistantly smash a milk jug with the first shot. My buddy has a 3-9 Leupold on his AR and he can't beat that. Get the dounut, you won't be disappointed...Good luck
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:31:53 AM EDT
[#3]
IMHO the triangle is much less precise than the donut.  The only distance the triangle is more precise is at EXACTLY 100 yards.  At 200 yards you cant even see your target but with the donut you just use the inside of the circle as an aiming point and you can see your target from 150 to 250 yards where this cant be done with a triangle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:39:47 AM EDT
[#4]
DevL,

That is interesting, I actually like the triangle better, I sight in at the tip, so even at longer range, the tip produce a very nice fine point for precise aim.  I also have a donut, but I found the donut a less precise reticle.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Shoot at a tennis ball with a triangle reticle at 200-275 yards...  You will not be able to see what you are shooting at with a triangle reticle.  If the point is sighted at 100 yards the middle of the triangle will cover the target at POA/POI for 200-275 yards.  If you can do that try having a friend pull the tennis ball on a rope very slowly at that range.  You will realize you cant see the target worth a crap and when you have it appearing and disappearing due to slight elevation changes covering it up you will get frustrated.  I used to shoot stuff attached to a stick on a remote controlled car... till I missed one day.  Tennis balls are cheaper to replace and last longer than remote controlled cars.  Not as much fun for your buddy though.  Perhaps I can build an armored 4x4 remote controlled truck to use as a mobile steel plate.  Hmmm....
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:54:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting points
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that new-arguy made the point that by the time you got out to where the extra precision of the tip of the triangle would be useful, you would be using the BDC, and that is the same on both models.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on what you're shooting at.  For smaller targets up close the tip would allow a more precise aiming point.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
No because up close you would be shooting into the triangle again not to the tip.  The tip can only be used at ONE range if its a full size ACOG.  Or in a compact ACOG if its used as a 50 yard zero at two ranges.  But past 200 the triangle would suck.  The donut would be more accurate where the reticle of the triangle covers up the target and the donut does not.  I am not talking about groups on paper, I mean hitting small objects in the real world.  Hold over does not work on small objects that can move in relation to what is over them.

Also I cant take credit for the remote controlled car idea.  I first saw it as a budget sniper training system where two helium ballons were tied to the car, one a bad guy and one a hostage.  It was used to practice timing a clean head shot.

The ultimate is a hollow triangle, if Trijicon made that Id buy it in a second.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

in a compact ACOG if its used as a 50 yard zero at two ranges.  But past 200 the triangle would suck.  
View Quote

That's funny, I cleaned up at a shoot on a military pop-up range from 25 to 500 meters using a 3x compact ACOG with a triangle.

Best score I ever got, 2nd highest score of the day.

Works great for killing man sized targets.

That's what I bought mine for.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

in a compact ACOG if its used as a 50 yard zero at two ranges.  But past 200 the triangle would suck.  
View Quote

That's funny, I cleaned up at a shoot on a military pop-up range from 25 to 500 meters using a 3x compact ACOG with a triangle.

Best score I ever got, 2nd highest score of the day.

Works great for killing man sized targets.

That's what I bought mine for.
View Quote

I dont doubt it.  I was talkin about hunting squirel with it or other very small objects.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I dont doubt it.  I was talkin about hunting squirel with it or other very small objects.
View Quote

Okay.

They are designed more for hunting the 2 legged varmits.  [;d]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top