Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2003 2:21:46 AM EDT
Hey whats up with all the hype about this eotech sight? I have an A2 setup I would like to put a cowitness sight on. If mounted to carry handle, what is the best setup for either? Thanks

Chris
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Use a gooseneck mount, with Reflex you can buy a factory with build in gooseneck mount.  Using the EOTech, I highly suggest the BC CAM adjustable mount.

This is a review on EOTech.
[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/eotech1.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#2]
i have the 4MOA Reflex sight. It's nice for outdoors as long as you don't look right into bright light, but indoors, i find the amber doesn't contrast quickly changing backgrounds very well. So i just bought an EOTech to replace it. :D
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both - IMHO, the only advantage of the Reflex is that it doesn't need batteries, but the amber triangle is dimmer than the EOTech's reticle.  

In addition, the bluish tint of the Reflex lens makes the view through the sight darker.

I vote for the EOTech 551 or 552 - get the version "E", which has the rubberized buttons.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My friend had one on his Bushy "m-4" type and although I found it to be pretty neat (and cool looking) he told me to shy away from it.  He has since sold it to purchase a nice scope.  His reasons were that he would much rather depend on the irons than the EOTech.  Plus he was saying if its electronic Mr. Murphy will rear his ugly head.  

It is a pricey piece of gear that would be nice to have but I guess its not a needed item for general shooting/protection.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Reflex over EO-Tech?

EO-Tech by far!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this an opinion, educated guess or fact.

Chris [thinking]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
It's fact.  I was a former Reflex II user.  I thought anyone that depended on a battery operated sight was nuts.  Then I started actually using the Reflex in different lighting conditions.  The reticle fades in different lighting conditions.  I finally got rid of it for an Aimpoint the time I NEEDED it and orange sodium lights in a parking lot TOTALLY ate the triangle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an aimpoint I love it! I think I will get another one. Hell there is always room for two or three or maybe an ACOG?

[thinking]

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have both - IMHO, the only advantage of the Reflex is that it doesn't need batteries, but the amber triangle is dimmer than the EOTech's reticle.  

In addition, the bluish tint of the Reflex lens makes the view through the sight darker.
View Quote

I second [b]gman552[/b] comments, and want to add the inability to adjust the intensity of the reticle as another Reflex shortcoming.

BTW .... I've replaced my Reflex 6.5 dot and Reflex II 12.9 triangle with Aimpoint M2's, a decision which I'm very satisfied with.

On my A2 Bushmaster I have the M2 in an ARMS #22M68, on an ARMS #51 SIR.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an aimpoint M2on my arms #46 atop my m4  and it works fine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I have used an EOTech for a couple of years now. I have had no major problems.

Here are the few I have had:

-The batteries last about 3 months for occasional use. The reticle will blink when you turn it on if the batts are low. N series batteries are only a couple of bucks a package, so keep a spare or two in your LBV and in the rifle case.

-The exterior lens fogged up on me once on a cold day when I made a rapid entry into an overheated building to make an unannounced visit on some really nice folks with some of my friends. [(:)] However, keeping both eyes open, I was able to acquire the reticle and targets with no problem. I consider this to be extremely minor, especially since more often than not, my eye protection fogs on real operational stuff (adrenaline makes you breathe harder?), and my EOTech has only done it once.

-It fell off once at the range. Make sure everything stays tight. It did maintain zero, though, and has held zero like a champ, even though the whole weapon has spent many 12-hour shifts bouncing around the trunk, protected only by the cheapest soft case your tax money will buy.

-The cantilever mount doesn't really provide a very good co-witnessing solution. Mounting it on the flat top, however, works great. EOTech has a new adjustable cantilever mount, but for what it costs (I think they start around $160), you could buy a flat top upper and some other accesories, and still have change left over.

My old setup was an M16A2 carbine (early model M4 with A1 sights) with a fixed carryhandle, EOTech 551 with a cantilever mount, and a "classic" Surefire. My new set-up (sometimes, it pays to run the Armory) is an M4A1 with an EOTech 551, ARMS 40 BUIS, a RAS and a forward pistol grip. When the new NVGs finally come in, I will be mounting a PAQ or PEQ.

My current set-up works great, and the EOTech is the fastest out of any of the sighting systems I have used. It is much more rapid than irons alone. We did qualification a couple of weeks ago, and many of our folks were qualifying on their new M4s for the first time. They shot great with the EOTechs, but you should have heard the whining, and seen the re-shoots when I made them use irons the second time.

My experience with the other systems is limited. The Reflex sights I have used or toyed around with seem like they would only be good in low light or at least fairly dark areas, and it seems as if they might wash out completely from tac lights during CQB stuff, or outdoors in very bright light (I am in Texas, so that is usually the case). My Aimpoint experience is limited to ragged out surplus M68s, many of which have a lot of problems. We used them on Sims uppers with mixed results, but everyone prefers their EOTechs.

Bottom line, you may hear bad things from those who haven't used EOTechs, but I haven't had any trouble with mine. Any problems I have had were part of the learning curve, and none of them were critical. I strongly recommend the EOTech on a flat top receiver with a good back-up iron sighting system.

Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
It's no hype Eotech is a great sight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
One of my ARs I bought came with a Trijicon Reflex.  I didn't like it at all so I immediately sold it on the Equipment Exchange and bought an EOTech 511 from SWFA.  That was one of the wisest choices I have ever made.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:56:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
-The batteries last about 3 months for occasional use. The reticle will blink when you turn it on if the batts are low. N-It fell off once at the range. Make sure everything stays tight. It did maintain zero, though, and has held zero like a champ. My experience with the  I strongly recommend the EOTech on a flat top receiver with a good back-up iron sighting system.
View Quote

Dumbass question:

I assume it holds zero after battery change?  Mine (552) fell of on me at the range as well.
So yes, be sure it is tight before firing, mission, duty,etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dumbass question:

I assume it holds zero after battery change?  Mine (552) fell of on me at the range as well.
View Quote

Yes, it does.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Natez.  You're one of many to whom I owe one. [beer]

TS
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks Natez.  You're one of many to whom I owe one. [beer]

TS
View Quote

Not a problem. I am in Central Texas and work for a medium-sized agency. I am one of our Armorers and deal with this stuff frequently.

IM me and I'll send you some contact information. I am burning some vacation this week, but I should be in the office on Monday.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
 Mine (552) fell of on me at the range as well.
View Quote

Tighten your thumb screw to hand tight, and take a quarter and give the screw a nice quarter turn. it will secure the sight on your flat top for good.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Mine (552) fell of on me at the range as well.
View Quote

Tighten your thumb screw to hand tight, and take a quarter and give the screw a nice quarter turn. it will secure the sight on your flat top for good.  
View Quote

What thumb screw?  All I have is the one hex-head nut.  The manual says there is a "retainer"
screw.  I can't find any screw that doesn't adjust POA or involve assembly/disassembly.  Just the hex-head nut.

TS
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mine came with both a hex screw and a thumb screw. I use the thumbscrew.
View Quote

You mean replace the hex nut with the thumbscrew?

TIA,

TS
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

TIA,

TS
View Quote

The EOTechs come with two mounting options: a thobscrew, and a hex screw. They are interchangable, and you are either using one, or the other, not both. In my experience, the hex screw seems to stay attached more securely and doe not tend to work loose.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA,

TS
View Quote

The EOTechs come with two mounting options: a thobscrew, and a hex screw. They are interchangable, and you are either using one, or the other, not both. In my experience, the hex screw seems to stay attached more securely and doe not tend to work loose.
View Quote

Well mine has been coming loose using the hex nut every time I have shot my M4 recently.  I might try the other thumbscrew for a while.

TS
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I just took the sight off and re-installed it using the hex nut.  I tightened it [b][red]very[/b][/red] tight.  Someone told me not to [i]over[/i]-tighten it.  Since it kept coming loose, it couldn't have been [i]over[/i]-tightened.  It has to be able to stay mounted and well secured to be a combat capable sight.

TS
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top