Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2003 10:32:57 PM EDT
WAAAAY back when I bought my AR-15 A-2 HBAR there was a Delta HBAR option which included a "Cherokee Cheekpiece" and a 3-9 power rubber armored scope. I settled for the cheaper of the two so I have never used a cheekpiece. Now I'm finally thinking about mounting a scope and was wondering if anyone here has used that cheekpiece? They are not real common as accessories these days so I'm wondering if they are just junk. Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Colt Delta elite HBAR (I think that was what it was called). It came with the scope and cheekpiece.

It looked well thought out but I really didn't like it (shooting groups at 100yds often produced groups that looked like the smile in a smiley face as the scope is 6inches above the bore and slight cant will cause groups to disperse horizontally.

Save the $30 on the cheekpiece and replace your upper with a flattop and sell the old upper and you will come out near to Even (buy one of the T numbere A3 uppers advertised on parts for sale for $95 complete and then sell your old upper for $60.

That's my advice I think you will get more satisfaction when your scope is mounted at nominal height rather than 6inches over the bore.

[b]Actually if it is an HBAR and all Colt just sell the upper and buy a RRA DCM A3 SS 1:8 twist upper in it's place (the colt will sell high and the DCM upper will give you greater accuracy and scope mounting)

If you like the handle try out the cheekpiece better with it than without but believe me you will shoot better when that scope is mounted closer to the bore[/b]

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advise. I remember when the delta elite came out. They also had a 1911 style 10mm delta elite pistol. They also advertised(with a straight face) that the delta elite AR was a police weapon to be used at 100 to 200 yards in tactical situations with "pinpoint accuracy". I'm sure you are right about getting closer to the bore but I can't bear to mess up my original weapon. Guess I'll just have to buy another AR with a flattop:o}
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
i have a 24" bushmaster with the carry handle. i have a 8-32x scope on it. i needed the cheek piece like you so j&g sales had them for around 50$. i got one and it definately helps to get your cheek in the same spot to look thru the scope.try at jgsales.com and good luck its an awesome looking rig with it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top