Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 8:08:09 PM EDT
The top mounting rail on the Fobus M44 handguard
sits slightly lower than the rail on the AR flatop upper. I'd like to know is this irrelevant? CanI  still mout sights on the forward top rail?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never used the Fobus handguard, but from what I have seen, it doesn't seem stable enough to mount optics on it's rails. If you want to mount optics forward, try the SIR or the RAS II. Both cost significantly more than the Fobus, but they're worth it.
Hope this helps.
Steve.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:44:12 AM EDT
[#2]
All things being perfect the top-rail of the handguard should be on the same plane as the flat-top rails.

SMV is correct though, as the handguard is susceptible to movement by many factors, (one being the pressure excerted by your own hand) it cannot be counted on to be steady enough for optics to be mounted on it.

That said an easier, less expensive way of utilizing the M44 (other than the SIRs or KAC RAS II) would be to place an ARMS #38 Super EX on it and mount your ML/ML2 (w/ARMS #22M68) to it. The Super EX should slip over the rails of the handguard and as it's attachment point is the flat-top on your upper should be entirely secure. This set-up should co-witness w/ irons and you'll have the #40 which is built in to the #38 for your rear BUIS. ([url]http://www.armsmounts.com/list.html#38"[/url])

Mike
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#3]
M44 is fine for forward grips or lights.  I wouldn't mount any optics on it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top