Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2003 7:25:48 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a spotting scope and I know nothing about them.  I want to be able to see bullet holes at ranges up to 300 yds or so.  I've looked at several scopes but I need to know what power I need to be looking at.  Will I be able to see bullet holes with a 15-45x60mm scope or will I need something with a higher power?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
What size holes?

With 45x you ought to be able to see .22 caliber holes at 300 yards under the right lighting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I just (today) got a Winchester WT-5  12-50X 50mm from cheaper than dirt.com for $77.  It's not a scope I'd take on an important hunt, but I think it's good enough for looking at .223 holes on paper at the range. I haven't had it at the range yet, but it has a good image looking across a parking lot.  Eye relief is very short though at high magnification.  Descent scopes start at $300 and good ones will cost $1000 and up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Try the Burris Landmark 20-60 x 80mm. It's a good quality scope, and less than $200.00 with a case if you find it on sale. I got mine at Midway for $179.00 with case and benchtop tripod. You definitely want a large lens (80mm) for better view at higher magnification.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
cwd10

Have you used the Landmark scope at ranges beyond 200 yds?  I'd like to be able to see .223 holes at 300 yds if possible.  I go to a range that has rifles up to 600 yds, though I can't expect a scope at this price to be much use at that range.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
What size holes?

I can see .308 at 300 with my KOWA but .223 is iffy.

A lot has to do with conditions.  Lots of mirage makes even .308 at 300 difficult.  It has been my experience that higher power does not mean higher resolution.  

How much money do you have to spend?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top