Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2003 5:54:09 PM EDT
I've been noticing that my accuracy suffers when bright sun is at my back.  The tip of the front sight post tends to glare out and I lose a crisp sight picture.

Anyone know how to deal with this?

TIA
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never used it, but I understand that "Sight Black" is supposed to counter this very problem.  I think there are a couple of commercial versions available.  

One of the army marksmanship TM's suggests burning a plastic spoon and letting the black soot collect on your sights and apetures.  I haven't tried that either, but I imagine the sprays are simply aerosol carbon dust.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]
IPSC (ugh) shooters use Carbide Lamps...

I have used sight black on the irons on my C7 when we used to shoot them that way in competition - works well.

Anything that can blacken the front sight (matte) will do.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to have a similar sort of problem.  I got a lot of glair off the jet black smooth finish on the inside of my Bushmaster carry handle.  It made the rear sight oval and tilted to the side from my view.  Blackened the inside of them with some SERIOUSLY matt finish spray paint.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.

Now I won't have to get up so early in the morning to shoot.  [:D]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top