Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 7:30:36 AM EDT
I want to scout mount my ML2 on my A2 Bushy. I would like suggestions on mounts (ARMS takes up nearly all the space "inside" carry handle with 2 attachment points) and places to buy them online. ALSO: what about a handguard mount? I would replace the handguards with a set that has weaver\picatinny if they:

A) Didn't move enough to lose zero, and
2) Were NOT float tubes (too heavy on shorty).

Help, please O Wizened Ones!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The ARMS #39 is the most stable because it does lock up in two places. The so called carry handle was not designed to carry the weapon by, it was made that way to accept optics and give a sighting plain to the front sight. The original AR10's had the cocking mechanism in the form of an upside down trigger in where the #39 mount now goes.
You can't tell which way or control the direction of the muzzle very well if you carry an AR15/M16 by the so called handle! For good reasons, the military frown on toting your weapon like that, so consider it anything but a plus that #39 doesn't accomodate a bad idea.
Good shootin, Jack

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, while I don't carry her like a lunchbox, I do very much like the ole thumb-through-carry handle-fingers-in-front-of-magwell carry. I have a very great number of days carrying an M16 twelve to sixteen hours a day. Don't want to give up any options I don't have to. What about the handguard mount?

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
There is nothing on the #39 to keep your thumb out. Mounting directly to handguards doesn't work as the hand guards are not stable for optic mounting.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#4]
3rdtk, do you have any idea what you are talking about? I have found many instances of dot sights mounted to rail-equipped handguards and float tubes!

BTW, see that 2nd attachment point up front of the ARMs scout mount? Reckon that might be what I said gets in the way of a (big man's) thumb?

Hmm?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
3rdtk, do you have any idea what you are talking about? I have found many instances of dot sights mounted to rail-equipped handguards and float tubes!

BTW, see that 2nd attachment point up front of the ARMs scout mount? Reckon that might be what I said gets in the way of a (big man's) thumb?

Hmm?
View Quote

Actually, he does know what he's talking about.  The handguards are NOT a stable platform for optics.  That doesn't keep people who don't know better from putting them there.

Have you actually seen a #39 in person?  I can't see how that dinky little thing gets in the way of your (big man) thumb.  Besides, GET A SLING!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]
So you are saying the FF RAS and RAS 2 are not stable enough to mount optics there?  Thats news to me.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I have no problem using the thumb-through carry handle grip on my Bushy A2 with ARMS #39 and Aimpoint, but I will say that I don't carry it all day either. It is an extremely solid platform and allows the Aimpoint to co-witness perfectly through the glass with thw ARMS #22M68. There are other options however, such as the FF RAS and the ARMS #51 SIR, but they cost quite a bit more if it matters.

Check out the various setups in the pics throughout the threads and begin your search for a vendor in the "Industry" section, since these are the people who support us.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top